Potential buyer and can't get a test drive...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hazards280

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been browsing around the forum for quite a while now but just registered as I feel it is time to ask a few questions. First let me explain my current situation. I have two vehicles a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT that's not stock by any means, paid for and I will most likely never sell it. The second car is a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit Edition (5.7 HEMI) , this one is not paid for but has everything I want/need in a DD/Winter Car.

The problem I have however, is that the Jeep doesn't excite me when I drive. Yes, it's a very nice car with every imaginable gadget under the sun (Adaptive CC, NAV, Heated Steering wheel, Quadra-Lift Air Susp. etc) but it just isn't working for me as I don't get "looks" when I'm driving.

I am looking for either body style of Raptor as I really don't have a preference. I don't have kids as I'm only 22 years old and I'm not married at the moment. I would prefer a 2011+, in either Molten Orange or Blue Flame that is loaded to the gills without having a million miles on it. If I sell my Grand Cherokee I can pocket about $5k dollars and I have an additional $5k that I would put down on top of that. I've only owned the Jeep for about 5 months so I haven't paid too much of it off. The second problem I'm having involves the dealerships in my area. I've gone to two different dealers to test drive USED Raptors and they refuse to because of my age. I am approved from my credit union and am willing to work with them on trading in the Jeep (as long as they offer a respectable value). I understand that I am fairly young to be purchasing a $37k+ 2nd vehicle, however, I have been very blessed and landed a nice job post college graduation. It also seems odd that they are saying no when I'm already driving a Jeep that stickered for just shy of $50k a few years ago. :confused:

If anyone in the Tri-City area in Michigan has a Raptor with a 6.2L engine in any configuration is willing to let me test drive or ride with you I would be willing to pay you for your time and gas. I just hate that I have to ask a owner to drive one of theirs when local dealers have them on their lots.

Finally, I assume none of you regret your purchase? I will be losing a lot of technology but gaining so much more in terms of performance, looks and off-road ability that it's not really a question in my head. In the summer I drive my G8 95% of the time as its fun to drive and the Jeep sits in the garage. Do you guys ever pass up your other fun toy to drive the Raptor?

Thanks you all for any opinions you have.

Last edited:

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been browsing around the forum for quite a while now but just registered as I feel it is time to ask a few questions. First let me explain my current situation. I have two vehicles a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT that's not stock by any means, paid for and I will most likely never sell it. The second car is a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit Edition (5.7 HEMI) , this one is not paid for but has everything I want/need in a DD/Winter Car.

The problem I have however, is that the Jeep doesn't excite me when I drive. Yes, it's a very nice car with every imaginable gadget under the sun (Adaptive CC, NAV, Heated Steering wheel, Quadra-Lift Air Susp. etc) but it just isn't working for me as I don't get "looks" when I'm driving.

I am looking for either body style of Raptor as I really don't have a preference. I don't have kids as I'm only 22 years old and I'm not married at the moment. I would prefer a 2011+, in either Molten Orange or Blue Flame that is loaded to the gills without having a million miles on it. If I sell my Grand Cherokee PP I can pocket about $5k dollars and I have an additional $5k that I would put down on top of that. The second problem I'm having involves the dealerships in my area. I've gone to two different dealers to test drive USED Raptors and they refuse to because of my age. I am approved from my credit union and am willing to work with them on trading in the Jeep (as long as they offer a respectable value). I understand that I am fairly young to be purchasing a $37k+ 2nd vehicle, however, I have been very blessed and landed a nice job post college graduation. It also seems odd that they are saying no when I'm already driving a Jeep that stickered for just shy of $50k a few years ago. :confused:

If anyone in the Tri-City area in Michigan has a Raptor with a 6.2L engine in any configuration is willing to let me test drive or ride with you I would be willing to pay you for your time and gas. I just hate that I have to ask a owner to drive one of theirs when local dealers have them on their lots.

Finally, I assume none of you regret your purchase? I will be losing a lot of technology but gaining so much more in terms of performance, looks and off-road ability that it's not really a question in my head. In the summer I drive my G8 95% of the time as its fun to drive and the Jeep sits in the garage. Do you guys ever pass up your other fun toy to drive the Raptor?

Thanks you all for any opinions you have.

If you are already approved for financing, and can show that to the dealership, I would think that refusal to sell you a vehicle based on your age is against some sort of law. Now, if you are **** up in your jeep, making your pre-approval equal less than the "deal", then that's something else entirely.

OP
OP
H

hazards280

Reaction score
If you are already approved for financing, and can show that to the dealership, I would think that refusal to sell you a vehicle based on your age is against some sort of law. Now, if you are **** up in your jeep, making your pre-approval equal less than the "deal", then that's something else entirely.

I was thinking the same exact thing. It's not that they won't sell me the car, they just won't let me test drive it. I could understand that if it were brand new but these trucks have 50k miles on them. I get told three things when I go there. (Not exact quotes)

1. This is a SVT vehicle. Therefore no test drives.
  2. The truck is obviously in great condition, so I won't find anything in a test drive
  3. They would prefer to have someone with more driving experience drive the truck. (In fact, one asked if I could have my father drive it with me)

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a different dealership, not sure how far it is but I know there is a 2010 blue scab at the ford dealership in paw paw mi.

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same exact thing. It's not that they won't sell me the car, they just won't let me test drive it. I could understand that if it were brand new but these trucks have 50k miles on them. I get told three things when I go there. (Not exact quotes)

1. This is a SVT vehicle. Therefore no test drives.
  2. The truck is obviously in great condition, so I won't find anything in a test drive
  3. They would prefer to have someone with more driving experience drive the truck. (In fact, one asked if I could have my father drive it with me)

Man, I would never buy anything from a dealership like that. Show up with cash and then at the last second be like "nah, I'm too young for this"

OP
OP
H

hazards280

Reaction score
Find a different dealership, not sure how far it is but I know there is a 2010 blue scab at the ford dealership in paw paw mi.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look. Thanks man!

EDIT: Damn, It's a nice truck but it's powered by the 5.4.

Last edited:

Snowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership was great to work with. Went above and beyond.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I think your best bet is to skip the dealer all together and find a private sale Raptor. As far as the test drive goes... Joe and I got the run around on a test drive when we were looking in September of 2011. But that was because the only one they had was the vehicle the GM was driving :flipthebird: He got an all of 1 min up the road and back test drive, it was enough as these trucks are amazing!