Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Prospective Raptor Owners
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Prospective Raptor Owners

Going from Jeep Wrangler Rubicon to Ford Raptor

This is a discussion on Going from Jeep Wrangler Rubicon to Ford Raptor within the Prospective Raptor Owners forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Hands down best truck I've had in the snow. My older f150 was good but the raptor blows it out ...

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hands down best truck I've had in the snow. My older f150 was good but the raptor blows it out of the water. Its actually not bad on ice either- locking diff and four low It pretty much went thru everything I threw at it. As for the kids scenario I'm not in that realm yet but I would agree that the screw is prob your best bet.

AdkRaptor150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

I have the Scab, but no kids. My wife has a FX4 Screw and I am amazed at the room in the back seat. If you plan on hauling anything with legs in the back seat, the Scab gets tight real quick.
As far as the snow question. Here in NV (our snow is really dry) if the snow has a base- (like on a road) the Raptor works great. Totally straight, very predictable.
But...if your somewhere where the snow doesnt have a base, where you have to have some floatation- your gonna sink like a rock. I did & had to endure having a Jeep pull me out.
Nv Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

The Raptor does very well in the snow!
I'd say you should go for the screw. I have a scab, I love the looks, but what a pita getting my daughter in and out of her carseat when someone parks next to me!
Conejoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

FRF Lady

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Aaron touched on the height issue above and I definitely think that's important to consider with Scab vs Screw. I have a scab and when buying it I repeatedly said I don't care to be the chauffeur carting people around so don't want/need the extra screw length. But I am tall so when I have people in the backseat my knees are at the dash. While the kids are in car seats legroom may not matter much but if you're going to keep the truck you may want to consider that.

I insisted on finding a scab, but if I had 2 kids I would have definitely gone screw.
Ms. MI Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Kaiser Söze

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)

Originally Posted by SwampKing View Post
The screw also burns .6-.8 mpg less hwy/city as well than the SCAB.
This is the first I am hearing for S-Crews burning less gas... Can you point me to some info?
ISFast likes this.

'04 MazdaSpeed Miata
'67 Jeep Kaiser M715 - sold
Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition . . . it's YOUR Public Land!
KaiserM715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Meme Corps Commandant

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by KaiserM715 View Post
This is the first I am hearing for S-Crews burning less gas... Can you point me to some info?
I'm little confused on that one as well, I figured the lighter of the two would be burning less gas if anything.
KaiserM715 likes this.

It is not who we are that matters....what matters is our memes...
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Screw for sure - the extra room is great for passengers. The Raptor does great in the snow. Denver winter gave it zero problems with stock tires.

2008 Mercedes SLK 280
2003 Jeep Rubicon (sort of)
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Went from a 4-door Rubicon to Super Crew and haven't looked back. This is the truck Jeep wishes it could build.

I've had the truck slightly over 18 months now and it's gone through desert sand in AZ to snow/ice in WY. One of the best things is that I can forge 30" of water where the Jeep couldn't go that deep. There's a place just outside of Jackson WY in the near back country that to get there I need to travel across fast moving water at about a depth of 12-18" going down a grade and back up the other side. No problems. Going further out about 5-miles chasing landscape (I'm a landscape photographer) and passing through herds of buffalo. All while sitting in the truck slightly taller than what by Rubicon used to and a hell of a lot more comfortable.

I've got 30K on the truck and headed back to WY soon for yet another great time.

I love this truck!

Don

Truck is stock other than the tonneau top, rhino spray, and a set of Rigid lights

Tucson AZ
Iron Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

I just ordered a 2013 Raptor SCrew. I can't speak specifically to the Raptor, but I currently drive a Lincoln Mark LT (Lincoln's version of the F150 SCrew). My wife drives a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I also live in Wisconsin where we get plenty of snow.

Snow
The Ford does way better in the snow than the Jeep. The reason....weight. The lighter weight Jeep tends to slip and slide much more than my sure footed Ford. Don't get me wrong...the Jeep still does well. Just not as well as my Ford.
(I would think the Raptor would be even better as it's heavier than my Mark LT)

SCab vs SCrew
I have a four year old. The SCrew is way better for getting her in/out and making sure she has room. Furthermore, you'll like the extra space for carrying cargo and stuff you wouldn't feel comfortable putting in the pickup bed. This is especially true on family trips, etc.

Lastly, the ride quality will be much better in the Raptor due to the longer wheel base. Honestly, I would never think of taking a 4 hour driving trip in my wife's Jeep Unlimited....way too rough.

Just my $0.02
ejlmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Wilkow View Post
Looks like I'm going to be making the jump from Jeep Wrangler to Ford Raptor (bailouts helped that decision). I have two Raptor Questions. SuperCrew vs SuperCab? I have a 2 /12 year old and another on the way. How is Raptor in the snow, like on un-plowed roads? Sand I'll never really see. Mud...not really worried. But it would be nice to know your truck can get you out of the Zombie Apocalypse.
I have a 4 and 6 year old and I bought the SCREW. The SCAB really does not have much room at all in the rear seats. My kids love the SCREW legroom, it's like an entire bedroom back there. Even adults can stretch their legs full out and practically lay flat with plenty of room.

Either way, the Raptor is awesome, and you'll have fun in either one.