Strange clunk from front driver side area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently started noticing an audible clunk from what seems to be my front driver's side wheel area. It doesn't take anything extreme to make it happen - it's observable during normal driving over slight bumps (driveways, dips in road, etc). It's a new a noticeable thing. I've climbed all around and can't find anything that appears loose, or shiny, or out of sorts. I'm going to take it into the dealer soon, but figured I'd check in here for ideas. My best bet is that something is up with the coil-over or maybe the sway bar? Whatever it is, it obviously takes more force to make it happen than I can exert with my arms to find it. I haven't been able to feel anything different in the ride, but it's enough of a clunk to make me worry. The front end is all stock with the exception of being on middle perch (has been for a few years). This is a 2012 Screw with 38,000 miles. It hasn't been on any recent wheeling trips and this wasn't gradual. It just started the other day.

D

Deleted member 12951

Subbed, I have it too. But I have 3.0's and aftermarket UCA. I hear it on full turn lock too at slow speeds.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ball joint/bushing take it to your local shop.

That has crossed my mind. My past experienced with ball joints has been a bit more drastic symptom, but it won't shock me. One interesting question will be about my warranty. I have the extended warranty through Ford (factory obviously expired). Think that'll cover the ball joint if that's the case?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That has crossed my mind. My past experienced with ball joints has been a bit more drastic symptom, but it won't shock me. One interesting question will be about my warranty. I have the extended warranty through Ford (factory obviously expired). Think that'll cover the ball joint if that's the case?

Should do if you have the good one!

D

Deleted member 12951

My caster is at around 7.0 due to the aftermarket UCA's. Could the increased angle cause stress on ball joints to cause the clunking?

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Which ESP do you have, Dane? Ball joints are listed under the PremiumCARE warranty, but you'll want to verify coverage with your service manager. You can check out the specifics of all ESPs here: Extended Vehicle Service & Protection Plans | Service & Maintenance | Official Ford Owner Site Give me a shout if you need any assistance from my neck of the woods. :)

Crystal

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with @t_j on this one. I had a clunk/loose rattle on the passenger side. Only after spotting grease at the ball joint, did I take it into Ford. Turns out the boot somehow tore open, and the UCA needed to be replaced. Had it not been for the extended warranty, I would've gone aftermarket.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm with @t_j on this one. I had a clunk/loose rattle on the passenger side. Only after spotting grease at the ball joint, did I take it into Ford. Turns out the boot somehow tore open, and the UCA needed to be replaced. Had it not been for the extended warranty, I would've gone aftermarket.

Interestingly enough, that side axle shaft/cv (driver's side in my case) has been replaced twice under warranty for breaking.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck goes into the dealer today. I'll report back. They say it'll likely be covered by warranty, but obviously can't promise that until they take a look.