High fan noise at startup idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2013 Raptor for about 3 weeks. I've noticed when I start the truck, a loud noise that sounds like a large fan comes on after a few seconds at idle. As long as its idling, the noise continues. Once I start driving, the noise stops after about 5 minutes and doesn't return as long as the truck stays "warm" (even if I turn it off, restart and idle again). If the truck sits for a few hours, the fan noise will return again within a few seconds of starting it up.

Is this normal for the Raptor? If not, what do you think the problem could be?

frankie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing when it is hot out. On the cooler days it doesn't do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Witchy

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Is it not just because sitting there unused the inside of the vehicle has heated up and do to the remote start it is trying to cool down the inside quickly to the preset temperature as well as the ac seats. Once you have entered and turned the key it recognizes that you are in the vehicle and no longer has to do a quick cool down. In other words I think it's the fan kicking on blowing air through the radiator and condenser to cool the Raptor. Again my opinion but I might be wrong.

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh... The joys of having electric fans. Its been hot here in the NE as Im sure its elsewhere in the country. My fans come on with a vengeance at startup as well but I assume that is because I have my A/C running all the time. Haven't really paid it no mind with the A/C switched off. Hmmm... Maybe something to check on the way home tonight.

OP
OP
goinsvt

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It has been hot here in the NE the past couple of weeks. The fan noise happens whether I use remote start or key start. Either way, I guess it has to cool the interior. I have my AC on all the time so I'll have to check if its there with AC off too. I was hoping it was something that simple. It should be better once the weather cools.

OP
OP
goinsvt

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update - The high fan sound at startup has stopped since the weather here has cooled. The truck now just has the nice low, rumble sound that I love. All is good.