Spring Noise at Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fergs

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Gen 3 with 18,000 miles on it. For the past 2 months each time I start up my truck and the RPMs drop from 1200 to initial idle at 900, there is a noise I can best describe as “springs”. The dealer in town told me it’s from the actuator and is common? I’m not 100% sure it’s common as I couldn’t find a single post about it from anyone else.

Anyone have an idea of what this might be and if I should reach out to another dealership to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_6130.mov
    14.7 MB

Red19Raptor

Reaction score
Hard to hear what you’re describing… but definitely wouldn’t hurt to take in for diagnostics. Assuming you have a warranty!

I’d just get it looked at and see if they say anything (Ford dealership/service department)

Good luck!

awd5906

Reaction score
I believe this is the exhaust rattle issue that has been posted before on here. I’m guessing they meant exhaust actuators?

OP
OP
Fergs

Fergs

Reaction score
I believe this is the exhaust rattle issue that has been posted before on here. I’m guessing they meant exhaust actuators?
I had the exhaust rattle noise fixed previously so it’s not that. The mechanic I talked to thinks it’s an actuator rod of some sort (I’m not mechanically savvy so if that’s not a thing, I could have miss heard). He stated it’s fairly common in vehicles with turbo? Best way I can describe the noise is: on start up of the engine everything sounds normal at 1200 rpm. As it warms up (about 30 seconds) and the rpm’s drop, a noise that sounds like springs on a trampoline come from the engine bay at 900 rpm’s and last for about 3 seconds. It’s not long, but it’s noticeable and I’ve never heard it on a newer vehicle.

Here’s another video if the other one was hard to hear the noise.