4wd Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok - I'll do my best to explain...

If running 4wd I hear a loud "CLICKING" noise in the front driver's side wheel hub when running 4wd.

The clicking noise is only there when engaged in 4wd.

First time noticing this noise was when I was trying to get out of a ditch. I was being pulled out and while accelerating during the extraction, the noise started.

Keith said (when he heard it for the first time: "That doesn't sound good") That's what I know. What could it be?

2011 SuperCrew 45k miles...

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...If running 4wd I hear a loud "CLICKING" noise in the front driver's side wheel hub when running 4wd...

It sounds like a trip to the dealership is in your future, RaptorScrew. Let me know when you get a diagnosis and I'll be able to research ways to help, if needed.

Crystal

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the IWE uses what I would call a "helical" spring to stay engaged onto the hub splines. It's a relatively easy process to replace/inspect. If you're under warranty, it's a no brainer.

IMHO, I think IWE are getting blamed for times that the front wheels are bound up and the front diff finally gives up and allows a tire to slip, along with the popping sound.

I had the EXACT same thing happen during the SnoBall pre-run. I spent time and money to have it torn apart and replaced and saw no wear or issue only to have the exact same thing happen. That's why I think the behavior I'm seeing, and it looks like you may be as well, is actually the front diff slipping.

Check out the @BigJ post on a replacement Front Diff. Might give you some insight into how our open diff is supposed to work.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/my-take-wavetrac-differential-12856/

I will say, that popping is new and I don't like it, but it makes sense.