How to use a buffer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdoorsmen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing all my waxing by hand for the.past 2 years. In a whim I bought a buffer from harbor freight for $16. Thought it may be better then doing it by hand. I am getting ready for my big spring cleaning. Gonna clay bar by hand of course then polish and wax. All McGuire's ultimate products. I'm a little scared by using this buffer since I've never used one before. I don't know what bonnets to use, if they are reusable, or what kinds to get. I planned on being product specific with them. Strictly use one for the polish and different one for wax and different one for each removal.

so what should I know or just stick to doing it by hand?

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends. If it is a rotary buffer, which looks like a big grinder, you can easily do that. You can buy a Velcro backing plate that allows you to purchase different buffing pads. Places like Adams, who is a sponsor of this site, offer compounds that are color coded so that you can always be sure to use the correct pad with the correct product.
My guess is that you purchased a Gem type polisher, which is dual action, and looks like a big motor on the pad. There are terry cloth and microfiber pads available to use with it, and they are really simple to use, with almost zero chance of damaging your paint. Just take your time, and don't buy a quality buffer, because you will hate yourself later.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you get an orbital, or a high speed rotary buffer?

I'd guess you got a high speed/rotary buffer at that price point, considering you're mentioning bonnets. I think the HF orbital is around $50.

If that's the case, I would not dare touch any paint I cared about with it. Rotaries can and often do cause immediate damage that only a body shop can repair. Everyone has heard the story "Yeah, I saw my buddy burn right through his clear coat with a buffer!"

They have their place in the world of detailing, but most definitely not in the hands of anyone who the transition into the world of machine polishing. For that, a D/A or orbital is the right choice.

Foam or microfiber pads are used for polishing/sealing/glazing/waxing, and it's best to use high quality microfiber towels to remove the residue from all of the above.

If you did indeed get an orbital, then disregard my above warnings. :)

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get an orbital, or a high speed rotary buffer?

I'd guess you got a high speed/rotary buffer at that price point, considering you're mentioning bonnets. I think the HF orbital is around $50.

If that's the case, I would not dare touch any paint I cared about with it. Rotaries can and often do cause immediate damage that only a body shop can repair. Everyone has heard the story "Yeah, I saw my buddy burn right through his clear coat with a buffer!"

They have their place in the world of detailing, but most definitely not in the hands of anyone who the transition into the world of machine polishing. For that, a D/A or orbital is the right choice.

Foam or microfiber pads are used for polishing/sealing/glazing/waxing, and it's best to use high quality microfiber towels to remove the residue from all of the above.

If you did indeed get an orbital, then disregard my above warnings. :)
a friend of mine did that with a high speed buffer. not a fun thing to finance

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow Nick's advice. I wouldn't use a rotary on anything unless I was confident in my abilities. They will cause damage quicker than you will realize even when applying wax.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it back and get the HF Dual Action Polisher for sure, it's about $55 when it's on sale, and it's waaaaay more idiot proof than a rotary.

It's the best deal going as far as I'm concerned, I have the HF and the Porter Cable DA's and I like the HF better, and it was less than half the cost.

raptorgay

Reaction score
If you have a rotary polisher, It would be very hard to learn from it, it will burn paint very fast. Better have a extra panel where you can do some practice using it. But if you have a DA polisher its very safe to all newbie. There are a lot of tips and tricks in youtube on how to use them.