GEN 2 Radar detector install, over mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any concerns about the weight hanging on the end of an unsupported plastic piece? I checked mine and that piece is not very thick and has nothing supporting the edge other that the structure of the plastic itself. I like the idea and the location, but would be nervous hanging the weight of a radar detector off it. Factor in the multiplication of the torque applied by the weight from the fulcrum effect and the vibration of the vehicle, I could see it fatiguing the plastic piece. I look forward to seeing how it holds up.

Morn

Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of mount I'd love to have. I've got an R3 as well.

If you're so inclined, it would be great to see this process demonstrated on a video.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Very nicely done OP, you seem to have put some thought into this.

Does the windshield light sensor interfere with radar performance or range?
No issue with the sensors impacting the detector.

There is a very slight reduction in performance because of the material the detector is looking through, however I mean VERY slight. I have measured the attenuation of that materiel to RF in K and Ka band, and it is under 2 dB. Essentially I cannot tell a real world detection range difference with the detector mounted in another location not looking through the shade, however there must be some quantifiable reduction.

RF nut here... Just curious about how you measured or estimated the attenuation of the material in the glass.

OP
OP
O

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RF nut here... Just curious about how you measured or estimated the attenuation of the material in the glass.

Signal generator, feedhorn (for each band, one at a time) mounted in this location, and a spectrum analyzer in front of the vehicle.

I am an RF systems engineer.

T!

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signal generator, feedhorn (for each band, one at a time) mounted in this location, and a spectrum analyzer in front of the vehicle.

I am an RF systems engineer.

T!

Pictures or it didn’t happen! [emoji6]

The frequency range needed makes (calibrated) equipment expensive. Loaded Raptor expensive! Grin. Either way, thanks for it! Mounting my detector later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frequency range needed makes (calibrated) equipment expensive. Loaded Raptor expensive! Grin. Either way, thanks for it! Mounting my detector later today.

Among other electronics I have been collecting test equipment, including microwave stuff, for a few decades. While some of my hardware may not have fancy readouts and displays (and other of my stuff does) there is no reason it can't be used. We did measurements just fine before digital was a thing. You can pick up a good, working, sig gen up to 12+ GHz for a couple hundred bucks, if you don't mind analog readouts, and digital up to 20 GHz for a few thousand or less.

Calibration is not really an issue. To measure relative attenuation, such as through the glass and sun screen, all you need is a known step value, lets say a single calibrated 3 dB attenuator. It has been a number of years since any of my equipment was sent anywhere for calibration, but with a little work you can periodically check the calibration yourself. So while it may not be NIST traceable my equipment is generally pretty good in amplitude and frequency. As long as I have confidence in my power meter and freq meter I can easily calibrate everything else myself. I have the equipment to do X and K band myself, but Ka is above my hardware. I have feedhorns for that band (Ka), but my spec an and sig gen don't go up there (had to use other peoples equipment for that band). And to get K band I use a doubler on my sig gen.

But through my employer I have access to anything I need up to 40+ GHz, and calibrated. We do this professionally. So really not an issue ;)

(edit) I just noticed you have "HF/VHF/UHF" in your sig. What is your setup? In the Raptor I have a Kenwood TS2000 with RC2000 control head. So yes, HF/VHF/UHF for me also.

T!

Last edited:

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(edit) I just noticed you have "HF/VHF/UHF" in your sig. What is your setup? In the Raptor I have a Kenwood TS2000 with RC2000 control head. So yes, HF/VHF/UHF for me also.

T!

Check on the equipment! Thanks for the background / context!

My setup is an IC-7100. Just got it new setup and are working on the HF antenna. I want to be able to switch (by changing antenna and tuner type) between a screwdriver and a whip.

Antenna mounts are by Breedlove mounts. For in the stake pockets on the back of the bed.

More grounding/bonding to do on the bed but so far I’m not horrified by the RF noise the truck makes. Munch lower than I anticipated.

I’ll get some more pictures when all done.

265d7de3a27b22c2670f04aacb4f8fe6.jpgc2bb1934e8b053117db6047ecf24c102.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk