Onboard Air Compressor.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Viair onboard air system, I don't remember which model. It was their 100% duty built for 37" tires. I custom made some covers for the quick disconnects as they would fill with dirt and debris and make them unusable after 1 offroad trip, much better now.

Attachments

• air10.jpg
    air10.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 268
  • air9.jpg
    air9.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 270
  • air6.jpg
    air6.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 240
  • air5.jpg
    air5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 258
  • air4.jpg
    air4.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 264
  • air3.jpg
    air3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 257
  • air2.jpg
    air2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 221
  • air1.jpg
    air1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 283
  • air.jpg
    air.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 264
  • air7.jpg
    air7.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 220

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at mounting an air compressor and connecting to an AUX switch and wondering if anyone else has done this yet or has it planned on a 2017. Looking at the ARB compressors and thinking about mounting it under the right rear seat or possibly in the bed. I know there are a few other threads on here from earlier installations, but didn't see much on an in-cabin install. Thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance....

Do NOT mount that air compressor in the cab. Heat, noise and the potential for a fire inside the truck if things go pear shaped aren't worth it. Plus those ARB compressors were designed to work in the strayan outback. Mount it in the bed. Or better yet a toolbox with a good seal and just keep the lid open when you're using the thing so it can breathe.

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do NOT mount that air compressor in the cab. Heat, noise and the potential for a fire inside the truck if things go pear shaped aren't worth it. Plus those ARB compressors were designed to work in the strayan outback. Mount it in the bed. Or better yet a toolbox with a good seal and just keep the lid open when you're using the thing so it can breathe.

Yeah... I looked at all the different mounting options and decided to go with the portable ARB (CKMP12). The tool box it comes in is just slightly too tall to fit under the backseat in the '17, but I found another tool box and it works like a charm. While I really wanted to mount something and go with the aux switch, I decided the portable one would give me more options on other toys (Ranger, ATV, etc.).... thanks for the advice.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I looked at all the different mounting options and decided to go with the portable ARB (CKMP12). The tool box it comes in is just slightly too tall to fit under the backseat in the '17, but I found another tool box and it works like a charm. While I really wanted to mount something and go with the aux switch, I decided the portable one would give me more options on other toys (Ranger, ATV, etc.).... thanks for the advice.

That portable compressor in a box system is very nice! It all comes down to what you're needing CFM wise too.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just redid my onboard air setup, so figured I should share it here.
I'm running two Viair 480C compressors and a five gallon tank. I'm running at 200psi, fill times are just under three minutes to 150psi and just under five to 200psi. The spare is removed in the pics since everything sits right above it. It's plumbed up to a train horn and airchuck in the front as well as an air chuck next to the license plate in back. It is controlled from my Aux 4 switch, though since it's basically self managing with a pressure switch I just leave it on.
Pics!

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running two Viair 480C compressors and a five gallon tank. I'm running at 200psi, fill times are just under three minutes to 150psi and just under five to 200psi. The spare is removed in the pics since everything sits right above it. It's plumbed up to a train horn and airchuck in the front as well as an air chuck next to the license plate in back. It is controlled from my Aux 4 switch, though since it's basically self managing with a pressure switch I just leave it on.
Pics!

I'm curious what your use case is. That's quite a setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious what your use case is. That's quite a setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The initial use was airing up tires. The train horn and air tools are just a bonus.

My engine driven York compressor in my jeep still beats these compressors.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

I'm putting my money on air tools.... Or A LOT of horns....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I AM debating upping my air horn game ;)

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics!

Nice set-up! Where did you put the air tank?