Front license installation affect on cooling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CowboyRaptor

Reaction score
The center grill where the OEM mount is for the intercooler... so, you don't want to block it with anything, including a license plate. I'd not mount my plate there at all.

What I meant is that I don't understand why Ford put the license plate bracket there unless that is a federal regulation that it has to be centered, etc. Their fix is to remove the plate whenever you are running hard...again, not the recommendation/fix I would expect on a $65K truck.

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left Side Front Plate Install

I decided to mount the factory front mounting plate to the left side.

1. Cut off rear hooks/clips with a hacksaw.
2. Held plate on bumper and marked where I wanted to install it.
3. Drilled two holes to fit factory issued pop rivets.
4. Rivet the front bracket in place.

Attachments

• IMG_5323 V2.jpg
    IMG_5323 V2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5324.jpg
    IMG_5324.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5325.jpg
    IMG_5325.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5326.jpg
    IMG_5326.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5327 V2.jpg
    IMG_5327 V2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 92

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the right side. :biggrin:

Not when I'm looking at it... Seriously that always messes me up when people talk left vs. right side, I never know if its from a passenger perspective or looking at the truck.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been pulled over for missing the front plate in Idaho. No reason other than that...I think the lady cop just wanted to check me out!
Front plate broke off a few weeks earlier offroading and I never put it back on. I fixed it later that day/next after getting pulled over but all she did was tell me I needed to put the plate back on.

I was shocked when I went to the dealer and saw it in the center. When the Eco first came out there were claims of people being denied warranty work because they covered the whole with grille material and it supposedly blocked too much airflow.

Sucks because it looks like crap to me on the side/Middle East recommended spot. Too bad Ford didn't make the recommended spot fit a plate better. The over hang of the plate on both sides looks horrible.

Wonder if one can drill enough holes/punch our plates to make it readable and yet get enough airflow?

Else make a smaller sticker plate and put on each side of truck so it looks more even?

Last edited:

Mink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if one can drill enough holes/punch our plates to make it readable and yet get enough airflow?

That's what I did, 1/2" holes down the middle of plate and used the ford bracket that holds the plate out away a bit. And it looks good.