2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What @Aaron said, the dealership had them set at 45+psi and they lowered down to 38psi and it took care of their issue.

Ok, that's what I thought you meant, but wanted to verify...never assume...especially online...but unfortunately mine are set to 38, and no good...at least when compared to my 14.:banghead:

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Ok, that's what I thought you meant, but wanted to verify...never assume...especially online...but unfortunately mine are set to 38, and no good...at least when compared to my 14.:banghead:

I wonder if this is the downside of the staggered rear shocks...

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the Gen 2 is going to benefit a lot from a set of progressive leafs. Anyone have any idea when these will become available?

Question - does anyone know the difference in weight distribution from Gen 1 to Gen 2?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I think the Gen 2 is going to benefit a lot from a set of progressive leafs. Anyone have any idea when these will become available?

Question - does anyone know the difference in weight distribution from Gen 1 to Gen 2?

Progressive leafs will definitely help. There's no way they won't. A revalve would probably help too. Maybe a little flutter stack action back there to soften the initial bit of compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

162Lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the rear end is lighter with the new aluminum body which changes the weight distribution. Plus the leafs and fox shocks arn't perfectly dialed in from the factory. A new set of leafs may help. The truck also has more torque under light acceleration which is only going to make a small wheel hop feel bigger.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I consider the brakes adequate, not great, but certainly not unsafe.

I too have experienced rear end hop on a hard surface, fairly hard cornering with an uneven road surface (pot holes). It has been a while since I've driven a truck and I figured it was the light rear end acting squirrelly. It only does this once in a while fairly aggressive road driving. At no time did I think I was not in control of the truck and it corrected itself pretty quickly.

Regardless, the truck handles far better than I could have hoped and I'm more than willing and capable of handling a bit of a skipping rear end once in a while. I doubt it will do the same on a dirt surface.

My tires are at 40 PSI, I may try them at 36 as well.

Whats wrong with the 38 recommended on the door?

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this is the downside of the staggered rear shocks...

What is the difference here from Gen I to Gen II...I didn't realize this was the case at all...Good info. Thanks.

Progressive leafs will definitely help. There's no way they won't. A revalve would probably help too. Maybe a little flutter stack action back there to soften the initial bit of compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Great info...so did the Gen Is have Progressive Leaf Springs...or is this just something, b/c of the Gen II differences in the rear...that would simply benefit the Gen IIs? Thanks.

My guess is that the rear end is lighter with the new aluminum body which changes the weight distribution. Plus the leafs and fox shocks arn't perfectly dialed in from the factory. A new set of leafs may help. The truck also has more torque under light acceleration which is only going to make a small wheel hop feel bigger.

Also Great Point...and that could have something to do with it for sure...but...for all this time, effort, testing, and money...never mind that this is the 2nd go round for Ford w/this Truck...I would have thought all this would be better...Not worse than the 1st Gen iteration...

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A bunch of guys with the non-Raptor 2015+ trucks bitch about the skittery rear end over bumps. Some guys claim it's so bad they feel like they are going to lose control on rough off road driving, the same roads where a previous gen steel bodied truck did just fine. They say shock upgrades seem to help- but with the Raptor having top of the line shocks from the factory, I don't know what you can really do, other than put 300 lbs of weight in the bed. I think the 3" shocks, light aluminum bed and need to claim additional wheel travel all add up to softer rear leafs than the Gen 1 had.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric is on to something. Try loading up the bed with expensive shit (300 lbs of tools, gear, toys, or just snow) and see how she feels.

And remember these shocks are stock so somewhat limited in their tuneability. With aftermarket shocks you can re-valve and also adjust the shocks to dampen/mitigate these forces in each of the shocks zones.

The shocks were staggered in 17 presumably to help with wheel hop / axle wrap I believe, but I'm no insider.

Last edited: