Raptor Assault Turbo Adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a few dynos out there that show an overlay of stock vs SPD turbo adapter loosing 50-150tq from idle to 2700rpm and 40-70hp loss from off idle to 2700rpm. This was a big debate on facebook about these adapters a few weeks ago. Im not sold on them after seeing the before and after dynos in the same day. for your average daily driving and towing they dont make sense for me. 20hp improvement at WOT3500-5000rpms vs a a 150tq loss at 1800-2700 rpms for daily driving are not worth it to me.

This post tell me you don't have a deep understanding of how turbochargers work.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This post tell me you don't have a deep understanding of how turbochargers work.

Please enlighten oh mighty one.

Do they not make boost below 2700rpms...I can make 18lbs boost from 1800rpm-2700rpm. I have 3 turbos cars in my drive way right now.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a few dynos out there that show an overlay of stock vs SPD turbo adapter loosing 50-150tq from idle to 2700rpm and 40-70hp loss from off idle to 2700rpm. This was a big debate on facebook about these adapters a few weeks ago. Im not sold on them after seeing the before and after dynos in the same day. for your average daily driving and towing they dont make sense for me. 20hp improvement at WOT3500-5000rpms vs a a 150tq loss at 1800-2700 rpms for daily driving are not worth it to me.

The charts floating around FB and here show like 25hp and 47tq...Well these motors will do that difference completely stock from run to run on a dyno in the same day. There isnt enough conclusive evidence to support these claims to justify the investment and time.

JacobSPDPERF

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/kvGlcVo5aEY

This is an independent test done on a 2016 F-150 3.5L. Of course this isn't the high output 3.5L motor that is in the raptors. The 2017 Raptor has improved heads and exhaust manifolds which is why the HO 3.5L gains so much more from the adapters vs the regular 3.5L. Jerrod seen +16rwhp and +32rwtq from just the adapters.

Dartv8r

Reaction score
Anytime something like this is to be added the engine/ECU needs to get retuned to take advantage of the mod. Just slapping these on might not get you the gains you're looking for.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Please enlighten oh mighty one.

Do they not make boost below 2700rpms...I can make 18lbs boost from 1800rpm-2700rpm. I have 3 turbos cars in my drive way right now.

The entire scenario of losing 150/lbs at a certain rpm by opening up the outlet on the hotside.

There is pretty much no scenario where increased outlet area of the hotside of the turbo will decrease torque at any rpm.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire scenario of losing 150/lbs at a certain rpm by opening up the outlet on the hotside.

There is pretty much no scenario where increased outlet area of the hotside of the turbo will decrease torque at any rpm.

Don't be so sure of that.

It's well documented that decreasing back pressure and going with full straight drag pipes and headers will give you more horsepower and upper RPM power at the expensive of low end torque and horsepower.

Now will these adapters cause you to lose 150ft*lb of torque? Hmmm... that's a lot of torque to lose...
I'm not sure I buy that figure, but it's hard to say without testing.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on a turbocharged engine. You are citing the conventional wisdom for naturally aspirated engines. It's complicated but the boosted engine does not rely on back pressure for proper exhaust scavenging like the atmospheric engine.

I'm not here to defend claims that these adapters make x amount of power on a dyno as I have not verified that.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't be so sure of that.

It's well documented that decreasing back pressure and going with full straight drag pipes and headers will give you more horsepower and upper RPM power at the expensive of low end torque and horsepower.

Now will these adapters cause you to lose 150ft*lb of torque? Hmmm... that's a lot of torque to lose...
I'm not sure I buy that figure, but it's hard to say without testing.

Once again, I am talking about turbos. You are talking about things like exhaust scavenging which does indeed apply to N/A vehicles, and even turbo vehicles, but PRE TURBO.

You guys are applying N/A theories to a turbo truck and it doesnt work that way.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Not on a turbocharged engine. You are citing the conventional wisdom for naturally aspirated engines. It's complicated but the boosted engine does not rely on back pressure for proper exhaust scavenging like the atmospheric engine.

I'm not here to defend claims that these adapters make x amount of power on a dyno as I have not verified that.

well put

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The charts floating around FB and here show like 25hp and 47tq...Well these motors will do that difference completely stock from run to run on a dyno in the same day. There isnt enough conclusive evidence to support these claims to justify the investment and time.

I reached out to my contacts in ford that actually do work on the Turbos for this program and exhaust to see there thoughts on the HP claims. I will let everyone know what they say.