Performance change with temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most differently well, but you need a proper Tune the go with the upgraded IC.

Why would you need a tune just for an upgraded IC? I'm new with the turbo thing but have done tones of stuff with SC'd Mustangs and never saw one need a tune for a bigger IC.

As far as the loss of power with heat go to MPT's web site and look at their Raptor dyno runs. Their first run was on a cool motor and the second run was on the hot just run motor. They lost something like 40 hp on that second run. They comment about it with the graphs. They even did a 3rd pull just to verify the loss with the heat soak. So yes the power loss with heat is significant!!

I don't think a larger IC would make much if any difference unless maybe you're doing pulls at highway speed where the IC is getting good cool airflow.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SC is water to air cooling for the IC and there's a limiting factor to how big the IC can be,
so a Tune would not be needed unless you want extra 15 to 30 rwhp out of a upgrade.
Whipple did have two version of the IC for the 6.2L Raptor for a short time, now they only offer the bigger IC.
There was a 50 HP difference between the two ICs.
What's important to SC is the the Heat Exchanger,
there you can go much bigger and a tune is not needed but again if want all the HP gain a retune would be needed.

With the Turbo setup it's air to air IC (no HE). The hot compressed air from the turbos pass through inside the IC.
So if you go bigger with the IC you can increase air flow and produce colder air.
But if the tune is not calibrated for those gains you kind of wasted your money on the upgraded IC.
Other than some help with heat soak.

Hope that helps, you really have do your research and ask all these questions.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jesus Christ there is a bunch of stupid in this thread. The issue is heat soak, end of thread. A more efficient intercooler will fix the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jmorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love these turbo 6 motors but the stock intercoolers definitely suck. I live in Texas where it is very hot and humid. After hours of logging two 2017 Raptors (one stock one MPT tuned) i came to the conclusion that even on stock tune these trucks need an intercooler (if you never want to experience power loss). With some good thrashing in 90+ temps even the stock tune starts pulling power due to high IAT.