Not very happy right now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah. Ford's not going to pay you anything. Ford said it can run on 87 and it can, especially in cold weather at light throttle. Ford never said it recommends 87 or that the truck would run well on it. The owners manual very clearly recommends 91 octane or better for the best performance.

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would buy an $80k truck with a 20psi turbo motor and try to run low quality fuel. It makes no sense whatsoever.

It's a nice truck. Put good fuel in it.

They will pay if it causes engine failure and I've been on this end in court and won. So let me help you understand words matter and if it says anywhere that the truck takes 87 for daily function and fails, it's their fault.

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.

I win all day long in court with that paragraph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They will pay if it causes engine failure and I've been on this end in court and won. So let me help you understand words matter and if it says anywhere that the truck takes 87 for daily function and fails, it's their fault.

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.

I win all day long in court with that paragraph.

Thanks for the sophisticated analysis. If it's bone stock and the engine fails, they'll fix it under warranty. Other than that, you'll be SOL. Guaranteed.

Bottom line. You need to put good fuel in it, as Ford recommends.

AlbertaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would buy an $80k truck with a 20psi turbo motor and try to run low quality fuel. It makes no sense whatsoever.

100%. After owning a 13 ecoboost FX4 and a 11 ecoboost Lincoln I can honestly say they like octane.

Whether ir not it has anything to do with the issue here is debatable, but for $10'ish a tank it's a no brainer to use good fuel.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago, I had to drop the truck off at the dealer. The truck would not get in gear on a few occasion. Dealer told me I had some cam sensor failure. So they ordered the sensor and replaced it. A few days later, I go to step on the gas to pass someone, my turbo cuts out and kicks back in. Now, Im pretty pissed. I did another hard acceleration and sure enough, the truck doesnt engage and then kicks in. Take the truck back to the dealer last Thursday. The truck has no code so the dealer do not have any idea what to look at. Only good thing is that it happen to them while test driving so they know something is wrong. Next step is to email Ford company for advice. I will be lucky if I see my truck until next Friday. I will keep everyone posted.

Where do you live? Is it very hot and humid there?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
sadly i am gonna agree with sasquatch. it is very possible that you are having a condensation issue. have them pull the ic and check for excessive fluid. in very humid / wet areas it is a know issue of the 3.5l eb. a weep hole or catch can seams to be the normal fix.

as far as the fuel this is from the manuel. i prefer 91oct since it is as high as i can get.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. We do not recommend these fuels.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.

But that’s not the symptom that OP described, and sasquatch77 thinks everything needs a weep hole. OP did not describe a miss, but a drop and resumption in power. There are plenty of youtube videos purporting to describe the condensation issue and they all have a noticeable miss in the ignition cycle.

It sounds like the waste gate.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It could be something simple, but it's going to take the Ford engineers time to figure out what's going on since it's a whole new different truck.
And I'm sure nothing is in their data base yet for the problem your experiencing.

Also you can email Ford but rest assured the tech working on your truck is on the hot line to the Ford engineers and has to follow their procedure to determine the cause.

Last edited:

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got my theory from here, https://www.f150forum.com/f70/what-did-i-just-experience-274585/, and many more threads similar. this is my second ecoboost, yet i have never had a single issue, unless u count an inop horn due to corroded ring, or poor connection to wiper fuse. i never did drill a weep hole or do a catch can. i follow these threads to learn and to give educated ideals based on reading. wither it is a condensation issue, waste gate, bad plugs, ect i want to know what the dealer says. thank you to the op for posting details of his experience so we can learn from him and with him.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah. Ford's not going to pay you anything. Ford said it can run on 87 and it can, especially in cold weather at light throttle. Ford never said it recommends 87 or that the truck would run well on it. The owners manual very clearly recommends 91 octane or better for the best performance.

Low quality and low octane are not interchangeable. You can have great quality 87 and poor quality 93. Quality is dependent on many factors; how old the fuel is, which additives are included, how much water is in the fuel, etc.

If Ford says it is designed to run on 87, then there is no debate here: you can put 87 octane in it all day for its whole life. Yes, you may have slightly decreased performance in hot weather or while towing but it won't damage your engine in any way.

There are way too many "fuel elitists" on this forum who believe that the price of the truck should justify the price of the fuel they put in it, when in reality it is just not necessary. If someone wants to put 87 in their Raptor, then that's their choice.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting and people keep bringing up the gas thing. It takes 87, if that's causing problems ford is about to shell out some serious cash.

On my 2011 f150 ecoboost, I ran 87 for a short time and had problems.

Ran 91+ and never had another problem.

Normally, I would never run anything under 91 on a turbo car with any performance, but it "said 87 was ok" so I tried it.

running 87 is asking for trouble. The knock sensor SHOULD detect any issues and change the parameters and run safely, but it isnt perfect.

Just run friggen 91+

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

This guy gets it!!!!!!!!!!!!