Wrong Oil, Limp Mode, now using oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darinz

Reaction score
Hi. Have had am interesting problem. My local Ford Dealer did a service on my 2017 a few weeks ago and put the wrong oil in it. They put the 20W5 that the Ranger Raptor takes.
Anyway 4,000km later it goes into limp mode due to low oil! Took it back to dealer and they did another service and put the correct oil in but 2,000km later the oil level is below the add mark on the dipstick. I have seen exhaust smoke on a couple of occasions too!
So I'm pretty sure it's a new motor time! Anyone have any experience or different advice? truck has done 90,000km (Under 60,000 miles)

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Is this a Ranger or F150 Raptor? Any oil leaks? 3.5TT is fairly reliable. Any service history from the privous owner? Look at the turbo lines.

OP
OP
D

darinz

Reaction score
Is this a Ranger or F150 Raptor? Any oil leaks? 3.5TT is fairly reliable. Any service history from the privous owner? Look at the turbo lines.
This is an F150 Raptor that I've owned it for 2.5 years and the same Ford Dealer has done the servicing. I bought it with 40km (25 miles) on the clock so had done practically nothing. It doesn't have any oil leaks but uses a bit of oil but nothing unusual. (maybe a a litre or so in between services) The high oil use has been since the wrong oil was put in and so is the smoke!

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is an F150 Raptor that I've owned it for 2.5 years and the same Ford Dealer has done the servicing. I bought it with 40km (25 miles) on the clock so had done practically nothing. It doesn't have any oil leaks but uses a bit of oil but nothing unusual. (maybe a a litre or so in between services) The high oil use has been since the wrong oil was put in and so is the smoke!
A 2017 without a leaking (plastic) oil pan would be a sign from God, to keep the truck forever!!!

I hate to be a ****, and I aint saying it is the cause. But if the dealer put the wrong oil in it without your permission/knowledge well then they own it. A lawyer that got his degree from a Cracker Jack box could win that case.

OP
OP
D

darinz

Reaction score
A 2017 without a leaking (plastic) oil pan would be a sign from God, to keep the truck forever!!!

I hate to be a ****, and I aint saying it is the cause. But if the dealer put the wrong oil in it without your permission/knowledge well then they own it. A lawyer that got his degree from a Cracker Jack box could win that case.
I'm well aware of that!!! But getting another in NZ isn't that easy and I've got this one the way i want it. Could be looking at a new crate motor or something I think.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, he’s speaking in kilometers @Nex.... just sayin’

Unfortunately, Ford has a very generous old usage threshold to consider the issue a “problem”. I believe it’s something like 2 quarts within 1k miles - ish(?) someone with experience maybe comment here.

Anyway, it’s a lot. And a lot more than what the average consumer would consider a problem.

I would suggest hanging this albatross around the stealership’s proverbial neck and make them run the issue of the leak to ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter