Lights Not Activating When I Approach Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbogo

Reaction score
When the truck (2021) is parked a bit the parking and other lights (not headlights) come on when I approach the truck with the key fob as it should. When it’s been parked a lot longer, say a day or two, lights don’t come on when I approach. I also just once got a notification "system off to save battery - Please turn ignition off or start engine" even when I had already just turned the ignition off. This indicated to me the truck battery was weak so I charged it with a slow trickle charger. After the charge was made it worked normally but only lasted a day. When I drive the truck I monitored the battery voltage and noticed it would always go to 15V and stay there a while 1.5 hrs and then drops to 14.5 v after about 2 hrs and then to 14.0 after 3 hrs. When I stopped and parked for the night it works fine but the next morning it did the same and would not activate with the approach. Battery at rest shows 12.0 volts with DVM.

From what I've seen from a google search it indicates it could be a bad battery but some even with a new battery problem went away but came back after a few days. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can do a couple of things...

1. Take it to the dealer and have them replace it

2. Take it to the dealer and have them replace it

The 15 to 14.5 to 14 is a red herring but it sounds like it's operating as normal.

Highwayman

Reaction score
FordTechMakuloco has a great video on Fords BMS on F150s and symptoms like yours on YT. Check it out, it may have something to do with how you're attaching the cables.

My 23 sits alot and I keep it on a battery tender cconnected on the BMS side of the negative. No issues here. May or may not be your issue, but its a good watch regardless.

OP
OP
Tbogo

Tbogo

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I have an oil change appt. with the dealership today so I will ask them to also diagnose this issue. I had watched that video and was careful on how the charge cables are attached. I did not however do a BMS reset. Tried the new key fob battery with no luck.

jond

Reaction score
I recently went through the same issue and new battery resolved the problem and has not come back. It's the battery management system. First visit the dealer "tested" the battery and said it was fine. Ford's standard battery test is cranking amps. The problem lies in state of charge. Mine began with auto stop/start not doing it's thing which i had no problem with. It then progressed into no welcome / approach lighting, then no interior dome lights, then no welcome screens when open door, etc. As the battery gets worse BMS does more to ensure the truck will start.

OP
OP
Tbogo

Tbogo

Reaction score
OK update: After dealership visit yesterday the battery tested what they consider "Good" at 594 of 800 cranking amps. I had asked if they would go ahead and replace the battery anyway. They came back with "we do not have any in stock and it will be two weeks before we get any new in". WTF don't have any of these high replacement items in stock! I then ask them to order a battery and if in two weeks I still have the issue I will replace. Dealership battery cost would be $225 plus a $25 install fee. I then told them to charge the battery and to do a BMS reset which they claim they did for a $20 charge. Funny thing to is previous services I paid $59 (non full synthetic oil & excluding battery check) was now $87, again WTF a 45% markup.

Here's the real kicker I went in also to my oil/filter changed and get the "works special" done which includes 27 point inspection and a tire rotation. When told the truck was ready I went to pick up and after reading the inspection report noticed engine filter was checked as "may need attention". So I told the service advisor that cannot be right as I had just replaced the filter the day before! I walked out to the truck and showed him. I then looked at my two rear wheels I had marked so as to see if they were rotated and low and behold they were NOT! This by the way is the second time this dealership has done this and that's why I mark my wheels and oil filter! The advisor then said he will have it taken care of immediately. he then claims the tech performing the task has been warned previously and will probably be terminated. I then talked to the service manager about this problem and he is now having the service advisors mark the two wheels before the service. The only reason I use this Dealership is because they are only 8 miles from my home. Looks like I need to elsewhere. And they wonder why I give bad service ratings which costs the advisor $50 from each bad rating they get. Sorry for the long rant.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
OK update: After dealership visit yesterday the battery tested what they consider "Good" at 594 of 800 cranking amps. I had asked if they would go ahead and replace the battery anyway. They came back with "we do not have any in stock and it will be two weeks before we get any new in". WTF don't have any of these high replacement items in stock! I then ask them to order a battery and if in two weeks I still have the issue I will replace. Dealership battery cost would be $225 plus a $25 install fee. I then told them to charge the battery and to do a BMS reset which they claim they did for a $20 charge. Funny thing to is previous services I paid $59 (non full synthetic oil & excluding battery check) was now $87, again WTF a 45% markup.

Here's the real kicker I went in also to my oil/filter changed and get the "works special" done which includes 27 point inspection and a tire rotation. When told the truck was ready I went to pick up and after reading the inspection report noticed engine filter was checked as "may need attention". So I told the service advisor that cannot be right as I had just replaced the filter the day before! I walked out to the truck and showed him. I then looked at my two rear wheels I had marked so as to see if they were rotated and low and behold they were NOT! This by the way is the second time this dealership has done this and that's why I mark my wheels and oil filter! The advisor then said he will have it taken care of immediately. he then claims the tech performing the task has been warned previously and will probably be terminated. I then talked to the service manager about this problem and he is now having the service advisors mark the two wheels before the service. The only reason I use this Dealership is because they are only 8 miles from my home. Looks like I need to elsewhere. And they wonder why I give bad service ratings which costs the advisor $50 from each bad rating they get. Sorry for the long rant.
Which dealer?