Intercooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when is the time to upgrade the stock intercooler?
This is the first turboed vehical that I ever had. I have been reading that the stock intercooler is good for a stock vehical but where is the cutoff for the need to upgrade the intercooler?
I currently have AFE intake, SPD edapter, Borla ATAK, and Pedal Commander. I'm also waiting on my tune from 5Star when SCT release X4.
So with these add ons would I benefit from a upgraded intercooler like the ADD, Full Race Freak O Boost, just something like Whipples intercooler?
I will be putting on my ADD Stealth R front bumper around the first of next month and that would be a good time to swap it if I would benefit from it.
Thanks for you help guys!

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realistically, I think that if you're going to drive it hard even in its current form, you could benefit from it... it's not likely to show any power on a dyno over your stock IC, but it would be likely to maintain that level of performance for longer.

That is to say that the purpose of the IC is to cool the air charge between the turbos and the throttlebody... and the IC starts to be less effective in that task as it absorbs (retains) more and more heat. So, it's entirely possible (probable, even) to have more power at the beginning of a 30-minute desert blast than at the end, simply due to the IC heatsoaking, and not being as effective in cooling the air charge as it was at the beginning of the run.

So, being honest with yourself, do you think that you'll drive the truck hard enough, long enough, often enough, to justify the IC upgrade? If so, great... if not, then perhaps that money could be better spent elsewhere... otherwise, I'd say upgrade the IC when you upgrade the turbos...

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I want to hear. I do drive it in South Texas where it is hot and humid. In the summer time like now it's nothing to see days of 100 plus with humidity. So I just don't want to see anything that has to deal with a misfire from condensation. I don't drive it hard all the time but do from time to time. But not for extended periods of time.
But even with my current setup driving it hard for short periods in South Texas summertime, do you feel I would notice a difference between a stock IC and an aftermarket IC?
Thanks for your help in more explanation as to how it works!

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
So I just don't want to see anything that has to deal with a misfire from condensation.

If you get an aftermarket intercooler that is advertised as "more efficient" than stock, doesn't that mean that it is more likely to produce moisture buildup? The Full Race intercooler has a vent to blow out the moisture I think.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a great question and one that i cannot answer. Hopefully someone on here can help. Does it mean that it is pulling more moisture out and not letting it carrying on past or is it actually creating the moisture?
Like I said this is my first turboed vehical and I'm learning more and more about it.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
The moisture is created internally. As the intercooler works to keep interior air temp cool, the incoming hot air gets condensed.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The moisture is created internally. As the intercooler works to keep interior air temp cool, the incoming hot air gets condensed.

Gotcha. So it makes sense how it can get to a point where the IC can be to small based on the amount of air being moved through. I can see the negatives of it being to small.

Are there negatives of it being to big for the amount of air being moved through?
How/when do you find out when the IC is to small?
Are there any positives of it being bigger than what is actually needed?
Where is this condensation drained on the stock IC?

Sorry if these are ******* question!

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
The factory intercooler is just fine for what you need. The bigger aftermarket coolers have the chance to build more moisture than factory due to the larger surface area. It is safe to stay stock on this engine.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory intercooler is just fine for what you need. The bigger aftermarket coolers have the chance to build more moisture than factory due to the larger surface area. It is safe to stay stock on this engine.

Great! That will save a brother over 1K!

Thank you!

On a side note, What about a aftermarket BOV? Positives? Negatives?

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful what advice you take from McNasty. Guaranfuckingteed that this is the new Sasquatch77 account.

Neither the Full Race nor the stock intercooler have a drain valve for this supposed condensation.

There is a bunch of info in intercoolers here. Turbos = heat. IMO, if you're mostly stock then the stock IC is plenty sufficient. It'll depend on how hard you drive the truck but with your mods, an upgraded IC will help. It can help reduce heatsoak. I also did the IC relocate so I could put a winch in the factory bumper. Also, I think you need to relocate the IC if you put on an ADD bumper anyways.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

If you get an aftermarket intercooler that is advertised as "more efficient" than stock, doesn't that mean that it is more likely to produce moisture buildup? The Full Race intercooler has a vent to blow out the moisture I think.

Not true.