Gearhead Tune Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, i was actually looking for something less than the mpt, dont need cai/intercooler right now, i might try gearhead Vs Livernois

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve not tried livernois as they don’t do NGauge...

But they don’t adjust the tranny right now.

The Gearhead tune has more kick than MPTs tow tune from what I can tell.

I have a feeling it’s similar to whipple, but I’ve not tried that one either.

Great, i was actually looking for something less than the mpt, dont need cai/intercooler right now, i might try gearhead Vs Livernois

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure.

I did not pay money for these tunes.

Yep, one makes less power than the other.

Just get MPT to do a PRX and a Tow tune. The tow tune is probably the same as the Lars Ulrich/Gearhead tune..

Guy: For transparency purposes, have you been comped the Gearhead tune? Or do you just like buying and trying tunes for fun?

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Bigger Intercooler is crucial for FI vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Fair question.

I don’t have any data to say that the MPT tune is more or less harmful than any other tune.

However, I think realistically the MPT tune is pushing the stock turbos to their limit. There are different theories on what makes a transmission last, but certainly MPT pops through the gears quite a bit faster than Gearhead.

I can’t prove it, but I think you’d have to assume that for the average person, over time, the Gearhead tune is going to put less stress on the moving parts. How that contributes to wear over time, we will all need to find out.

Same trans as in a high HP camaro that shifts perfectly according to several car reviews... great write up!!

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For purposes of comparison.

I run an AFE magnum CAI, whipple intercooler, SPD turbo adapters (that I genuinely have no idea if they do anything), Ford performance touring catback and tune of choice.

I don’t daily drive my truck. It’s purely for the snow, for the occasional truck need, and for fun. If I were going to commute with it and drive it as my only vehicle.... I would probably be a lot more cautious. Even if it breaks down on me, I have other vehicles that I normally drive anyway.

The other caveat too is that obviously this is an off road machine.... there are quite a few who use it as it is intended.... and if I were doing heavy off-road.... again.... I’d be really focusing on making it bulletproof followed by suspension upgrades.... even stock it has plenty of power for going off road.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Same trans as in a high HP camaro that shifts perfectly according to several car reviews... great write up!!

Correct, but aftermarket tuning to make the trans shift in a way that was not OEM tested is the real concern.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve not tried livernois as they don’t do NGauge...

But they don’t adjust the tranny right now.

The Gearhead tune has more kick than MPTs tow tune from what I can tell.

I have a feeling it’s similar to whipple, but I’ve not tried that one either.

Does the Gearhead tune use all 10 gears, or does it skip gears like the stock tune?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff

All 10.

Does the Gearhead tune use all 10 gears, or does it skip gears like the stock tune?

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

No need to disclose anything because I have purchased every other tune, gizmo, add-on to date.

I had planned to purchase these tunes as well.
Couple hundred bucks isn’t bad for how expensive these things are. I have been blessed with enough financial resources to have fun with this sort of thing from time to time.

I didn’t take on the Gearhead tunes to review for you guys. I am just trying to share info.
I took them on because I’ve run all sorts of tunes and I’m willing to help with Some honest feedback to help with continuous development.

I am excited about it Though and wanted to get the word out.

Thanks for your honesty.

I think it would be cool if you put a disclosure on your posts though.