E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ace75

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't see a lot of information on here or most other truck sites about E85 being used with these ecoboost engines. Can some of you chime in? I've seen big gains on other turbocharged cars with the use of E85.
Thanks.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t speak for the ecoboost but from what I’ve seen in every other engine the miles per gallon drops enough that the cost savings is lost.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cost savings ??

Ain't got no time for that!!!

We want mo' power !! My GTR on E85 makes 100 whp more then on 91.. but it gets 8mpg on it.. who cares though! It's about SMG's any way.... smile per gallon. Har har

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes 40 more HP on my e85 tune than just 93. And I forget how much torque. The butt dyno enjoys the corn and a station just opened 3 blocks from me with a e85 pump.

OP
OP
A

ace75

Reaction score
Tmd, I was talking about hp gains, not mpgs. I have an evo 8 and it puts out 420+ whp on e85, vs 360 whp on 91

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tmd, I was talking about hp gains, not mpgs. I have an evo 8 and it puts out 420+ whp on e85, vs 360 whp on 91

Apparently E85 works great in turbo motors. Didn't know that. I tried it in a N/A motor and it made it feel like a dog. Good to know

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2013 F150 Platinum Ecoboost and 2015 Platinum Ecoboost all said no E85 behind the Fuel Door. Not sure the reason behind it but never tried it.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the Raptor is configured for nothing stronger than E10.

The thing with E85 is that it is both higher octane (something like 108), meaning that it resists detonation very well, and much less energy-dense than gasoline... so it takes more of it (in terms of volume) to make a given amount of power. That's why mileage on E85 sucks, and why there's no performance advantage unless a tune is configured to take advantage of the extra octane.

Tunes configured to use E85 will allow for more boost/timing than would be possible on pump gasoline, but you also must have enough fuel system (fuel pump, injectors) to move the volume of E85 required by the higher horsepower level. Additionally, the fuel lines, etc... must be made out of materials that won't be damaged (dried out) by the use of fuel with high alcohol content.

Likely, the reason that the Raptor isn't compatible with E85 when stock is because it either doesn't have or has a limited range ethanol sensor in the fuel tank.