CAI advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm gone working for few weeks now. Only had 3 days to enjoy my truck at home :( I'm making some new money so I can order these upgrades. I will be in touch

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Thanks, what your saying does make since. I'm not into wasteing money, I only want to do things that will increase performance. With that said what can I do to increase performance? I'm going to do a tune when a good one comes out for the 2018s for sure but what else can I do for performance? I'm thinking I want change the stock exhaust, I've read on here where to many people have wasted a crap load money buying multiple exhaust systems. I was thinking a down pipe and those stp turbo adapters and the keep exhaust stock but I really am inexperienced in upgrading a vehicles performance so is my idea good or bad u think? I was told a cai would be a good performance mod for the my truck but if it's not then I will save my money

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CAI no real benefit. Buy a good drop in filter (at least it saves you money in the long run) and call it a day. Adding power to the EB is going to come from a tune, downpipes, intercooler, and turbo upgrades. The stock exhaust from the downpipe back flows sufficiently already. Any cat back exhaust change is purely for sound and/or looks.

OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx, that is pretty much what I was looking at doing. The down pipes, tune. I also was looking at doing the turbo adapters at same time I do the down pipe. Is the turbo adapters worth upgrading too or not? Also I heard spd was coming out with a down pipe so I was just gonna get their turbo adapters and down pipe

Jesse@MBRP

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Running the S&B CAI on a 2018 with ZERO issues and great results. $289 MAP anywhere you look and excellent fitment and looks.

GGWMQ6C.jpg

ranger22

Reaction score
^^anyone else with S&B?

Jesse@MBRP, what does "great results" mean? Does it do anything other than add some turbo whistle sounds? This is real question; I'm not trying to be sarcastic.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably means "Seat-of-the-Pants results" are outstanding (feels like it's worth it and it sounds cool).

No dyno results are likely going to be provided. Just my guess.

Southern Car Parts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I want to put a CAI on my 2018 raptor. I know a lot of you have already installed these and done tons of research on which one is the best on the market. So I'm looking to save some time and just get advice from you guys. Please tell me which CAI you would order if we're buying one today please and thanks for all your help guys I really do appreciate it.

We sell quite a few CAI's for the Raptor. The top 3 that we'd recommend would be one of the following...remember also, Exclusive Coupons: FRF7 $7> $99 order | FRF27 $27> $249 order | FRF52 $52> $499 order

aFe Momentum GT PRO 5R
https://www.southerncarparts.com/20...-cold-air-intake-system-v6-3-5l-ecoboost.html
d_raptor_momentum_gt_pro_5r_cold_air_intake_system.jpg

OR

The aFe FORCE Stage2
https://www.southerncarparts.com/20...stage-2-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system.html
num_force_stage_2_pro_dry_s_cold_air_intake_system.jpg

OR even aFe Momentum Pro Dry S
https://www.southerncarparts.com/20...-cold-air-intake-system-v6-3-5l-ecoboost.html
entum_gt_pro_dry_s_cold_air_intake_system_ecoboost.jpg

Now if you just want a nice drop in filter, you should consider this Airaid unit.
https://www.southerncarparts.com/2017-ford-raptor-airaid-direct-fit-replacement-filter-2.html
ord_raptor_airaid_direct-fit_replacement_filter_2_.jpg

Jesse@MBRP

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
^^anyone else with S&B?

Jesse@MBRP, what does "great results" mean? Does it do anything other than add some turbo whistle sounds? This is real question; I'm not trying to be sarcastic.

No worries. I am in a unique position where I have a dyno to play with whenever I'd like. So that said, I typically dyno everything I can. While I didn't get the same results as the manufacturer claimed (it's super humid here) I did see a 8rwhp 11rwtq gain over the factory unit. Same day, same conditions, only difference was the CAI. My guess is because I went dry filter over oiled. The cool thing is that I saw peak torque nearly 200rpm sooner than previously. So the seat of the pants effect is actually quite noticeable.

Other noticeable items logged were the IAT temps. I saw a nearly an average 11 degree drop in IAT temps on the second sets of pulls. So while not a dramatic figure in decrease it's still notable.

I'll see if I saved those dyno sheets and post them up when I get to my office later this week.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No worries. I am in a unique position where I have a dyno to play with whenever I'd like. So that said, I typically dyno everything I can. While I didn't get the same results as the manufacturer claimed (it's super humid here) I did see a 8rwhp 11rwtq gain over the factory unit. Same day, same conditions, only difference was the CAI. My guess is because I went dry filter over oiled. The cool thing is that I saw peak torque nearly 200rpm sooner than previously. So the seat of the pants effect is actually quite noticeable.

Other noticeable items logged were the IAT temps. I saw a nearly an average 11 degree drop in IAT temps on the second sets of pulls. So while not a dramatic figure in decrease it's still notable.

I'll see if I saved those dyno sheets and post them up when I get to my office later this week.

Did it cause a CEL?

Jesse@MBRP

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did it cause a CEL?

Nope, I now have 300 miles on it or so with no issues. A couple other observations that may be of value to you guys are below.

1. It's not as loud as some of the other suggested intakes above. Loud as in audible turbo noise under acceleration. That doesn't bother me but some folks want lots of whine.

2. The intake IS a closed box like the factory unit. The filter has a sealed plexiglass lid on it, the filter is not exposed at all and has an inlet in the same place as the factory. This is likely the cause of point 1 above.

Hope this info is of value. I'm not trying to sell you anything, just share my experience. We make exhaust, not intakes. The products are complimentary though so we like to tinker with all sorts of them.