5 Star Tune Review :thumbsdown:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a bit about my experience with the 5 Star tune for the 2017s. I posted this in another thread but figured it would be worth it to start a new one about it. Hopefully I am the only one with this bad experience with these guys.

FWIW, the 5 Star tune for the 2017s is complete crap. I've been through several iterations of trying to dial down the tune and every tune I get from them is the same.

They can't dial in the transmission shifts. It seems to be slipping during mid throttle. It's awful. I've spent countless hours troubleshooting spark plugs, boost leaks, and checking the transmission mount to make sure it's nothing on my end. The stock tune shifts perfectly but when I flash to any 5Star tune the problem comes back.

I even asked for a tune with stock transmission shifting points. I'm pretty sure they didnt adjust anything and sent me a duplicate tune because the shifting is still just as crappy, the truck started throwing the internal control module torque performance code and I'm getting the catalytic converter inefficient flow codes. The sad thing is that I've been through the process of having them turn those codes off. But when this new tune came in the codes came on again.

On top of this they are horrible at communication. It takes days for them to get back to you or get anything done. After this last go around I emailed them to ask about these new codes I'm throwing. Havent heard back in 4 weeks. I'm sick of dealing with it so I'm done trying to work on the tune with them.

MPT looks like they have a great reputation. I wouldn't touch a 5 Star tune again.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have kept quiet on my 5 Star experiences because I don’t want to offend anyone.

However...

Just get an a MPT setup for 300 bucks and you will NEVER look back. I know I didn’t.

Just wanted to share a bit about my experience with the 5 Star tune for the 2017s. I posted this in another thread but figured it would be worth it to start a new one about it. Hopefully I am the only one with this bad experience with these guys.

FWIW, the 5 Star tune for the 2017s is complete crap. I've been through several iterations of trying to dial down the tune and every tune I get from them is the same.

They can't dial in the transmission shifts. It seems to be slipping during mid throttle. It's awful. I've spent countless hours troubleshooting spark plugs, boost leaks, and checking the transmission mount to make sure it's nothing on my end. The stock tune shifts perfectly but when I flash to any 5Star tune the problem comes back.

I even asked for a tune with stock transmission shifting points. I'm pretty sure they didnt adjust anything and sent me a duplicate tune because the shifting is still just as crappy, the truck started throwing the internal control module torque performance code and I'm getting the catalytic converter inefficient flow codes. The sad thing is that I've been through the process of having them turn those codes off. But when this new tune came in the codes came on again.

On top of this they are horrible at communication. It takes days for them to get back to you or get anything done. After this last go around I emailed them to ask about these new codes I'm throwing. Havent heard back in 4 weeks. I'm sick of dealing with it so I'm done trying to work on the tune with them.

MPT looks like they have a great reputation. I wouldn't touch a 5 Star tune again.

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I get it. I've been trying to work at this with them since July and no progress at all.

I don't really care about offending them since I've had to put a bunch of effort into this tune to verify it's their fault and then have them completely blow me off.

But yeah I'll probably go with the MPT one eventually.

I have kept quiet on my 5 Star experiences because I don’t want to offend anyone.

However...

Just get an a MPT setup for 300 bucks and you will NEVER look back. I know I didn’t.

sp2pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k-rub,
Thanks for putting this out there. It's always good to hear/read reviews about companies, both good and bad.
I'm still undecided who to use for a tune, looks like I'll be staying away from 5star though. Good looking out.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Guy, get the MPT. You'll even find yourself enjoying Normal Mode from time to time.

ScottB

Reaction score
I’m having issues with my 5 star tune as well however they have been pretty good about helping. I have a 2017 and from what I understand, the ABS and adaptive cruise have a lot of control over the vehicle on the earlier 2017 models. Supposedly ford has an update for them but I haven’t checked into it yet. I am running stock as I’m too scared to run with the tune. Few weeks ago, 70mph down the highway and the transmission sounded like it exploded. Threw a Christmas light up all over the dash. Changed back to stock tune and no problems. Will see how it goes at Ford.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that happened to me too. On a long road trip weekend vacation with the wife and kids.

Guess what.... that’s a great line from 5 star about the ABS and Adaptive cruise wielding great influence over the truck. It’s not 5 stars fault... it’s Ford...

Yeah... ok.

Unmmm.... I have an early build 2017 and my MPT tune is perfect and everything works on it and no wrenches .

The one thing I agree on with you.... they are very nice. Their tune is not.

QUOTE=ScottB;1218837]I’m having issues with my 5 star tune as well however they have been pretty good about helping. I have a 2017 and from what I understand, the ABS and adaptive cruise have a lot of control over the vehicle on the earlier 2017 models. Supposedly ford has an update for them but I haven’t checked into it yet. I am running stock as I’m too scared to run with the tune. Few weeks ago, 70mph down the highway and the transmission sounded like it exploded. Threw a Christmas light up all over the dash. Changed back to stock tune and no problems. Will see how it goes at Ford.[/QUOTE]

Heelfan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 11' 6.2 tuned by them and never did like the transmission tuning. For a NA motor the engine seemed to respond pretty well (can only get so much) but they would hardly never answer an email which was their preferred method...

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tune on my 18 is working great so far, shifts fine on my truck..

I’m glad they have you set up. Take it for a long drive on a busy highway and set your adaptive cruise and make sure you don’t go limp.

Hopefully they got it worked out.