GEN 2 Wiring & Tie Downs - Questions related to some mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wiring into/out of the Cab
I'm looking at some mods that would involve running electrical wires into/out of the cab. What options do we have regarding pathways to get wires into/out of the cab? E.g., electrical wires, antenna wires for radios, etc.

Wiring front to back
If you've run wires from the Aux wires under the hood to the back of your Raptor (for back up or amber dust lights), how did you route the wires to the back? I can use wire loom to cover the wires but I've not had good experiences with wire looms holding up over time due to heat and UV exposure. I'm actually thinking of running liquid tight flexible conduit along the frame but it's just an idea.

SCREW Back Seat Tie-Downs
I need to tie down my Whynter fridge/freezer to the floor in the back seat (SCREW). I've heard about adding D-rings to tie downs but where are the tie-down points in the back seat area?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Wiring into/out of the Cab
I'm looking at some mods that would involve running electrical wires into/out of the cab. What options do we have regarding pathways to get wires into/out of the cab? E.g., electrical wires, antenna wires for radios, etc.

I did not complete this task but there is a boot on the driver’s side floor board that will take a few small gauge wires, maybe a couple large ones like for amps. just be sure to insulate against pinching properly.

Wiring front to back
If you've run wires from the Aux wires under the hood to the back of your Raptor (for back up or amber dust lights), how did you route the wires to the back? I can use wire loom to cover the wires but I've not had good experiences with wire looms holding up over time due to heat and UV exposure. I'm actually thinking of running liquid tight flexible conduit along the frame but it's just an idea.

I did reverse lights and yeah, some insulating conduit would be ideal. I used mostly the frame rail. Zip tie, to close bundle / firewall attach points downward, over and along side the top of the frame rail. be careful to route and position the wire where it’s not going to get pinched or it by anything significant.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can confirm there is a plug under the drivers seat (SCAB)

Pull the seat, take off the rocker cover and its about foot in under the harness. I ran my antenna wire into the cab from there. I drilled the grommet and RTVed it back up.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are running wires front to back, always add a couple extra even if you dont think you need them now. ideas change and you may want more wire back there in the future. disco raptor has 22 wires going front to back of which i have used 18 now. normally you would follow the factory harness that runs to the back. its the safest since its path has aready been tested to not cause interference nor get damaged. its the way i always run wires. as far as guage of wire, it depends on what you plan on running. the current drop of running that far isnt too bad. now if it is a high current device, then derinitely upgrade the wire, but for single cube type lights 16ga is plenty. as far as passing wires into the cab, use the factory grommets on both the passenger and driverside engine bay. drivers side can run pretty thick wires. i passed an 1/0ga power cable on the drivers side for the last couple systems i did. passenger side is a little tighter so use that for smaller wires.

OP
OP
W

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you are running wires front to back, always add a couple extra even if you dont think you need them now. ideas change and you may want more wire back there in the future. disco raptor has 22 wires going front to back of which i have used 18 now. normally you would follow the factory harness that runs to the back. its the safest since its path has aready been tested to not cause interference nor get damaged. its the way i always run wires. as far as guage of wire, it depends on what you plan on running. the current drop of running that far isnt too bad. now if it is a high current device, then derinitely upgrade the wire, but for single cube type lights 16ga is plenty. as far as passing wires into the cab, use the factory grommets on both the passenger and driverside engine bay. drivers side can run pretty thick wires. i passed an 1/0ga power cable on the drivers side for the last couple systems i did. passenger side is a little tighter so use that for smaller wires.

Thanks Noah! I am planning on running extra wires for sure - it's always a good plan. Does the factory harness run from under the hood down below the cab to the back of the truck? (I know there's a ton of wires running down both sides of the cab under the door sills - you're not referring to that are you?)

Thanks too for the tip on the factory grommets. I need to see where they are and where they lead to - is it under the instrument panel?

I appreciate your help!

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

You can get double insulated wire. It can be had with 2 ,3 4, wires in a coating. About as good as you can get

PVC Jacketed Brake Cable Product Family - Grote Industries

Thanks for that! I've not seen this wire before. What's strange to me is that it appears that their different products all use the same 2-conductor wire picture (3-conductor and 4-conductor wires for example).

I need to think about how many wires I'm going to run to the back and see how I'm going to route them. I may run them inside flexible conduit (liquid tight) and if I do that I won't need high quality wire like that although it won't hurt to use it.

I don't see very many sources for that wire and the price I did find is spendy but not surprising for the wire / quality.

Thanks again

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a big harness that runs to the back attached to the frame. it contains all the wires for the back half of the truck and trailer plug as well. but if you want to run wires inside the cab, the drivers side rail has a lot more room to run. the factory grommets come in left of the brake pedal and right side of the glove box behind it.