Where To Get Undercarriage Coated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like many of you I've started to notice some surface rust on the undercarriage. Prime suspect is the rear differential. I've read some threads of people talking about using Amsoil HDMP as a DIY solution. I don't mind doing certain things on my truck, but once people start talking about a full bodysuit and respirator I start to wonder if maybe it's better to take it to a shop.

So my question is if I wanted to get it taken care of by a professional what kind of place do I call? Talked to a couple detailers who don't get into that sort of thing. A paint shop? Any info is appreciate. And I'm east coast (DE) if anyone knows of somewhere local.

Reaction score
just do it yourself..........i used Amsoil HD MP on my 2011 F150, held up great after 6 years and several thousand miles later before i sold it.....cheers

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. Get a pair of goggles

2. Get a pair of rubber gloves

3. Take a can of Ams oil (you are going to need 2-3 cans)

4. Lay on your back and spray the ship out of everything metal on your truck

5. Let it sit for a few hours to dry before you drive it.

Spending $10 a can of AMS oil on the internet and not paying some one to do it, priceless. You will bond even more with your truck.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Get a pair of goggles

2. Get a pair of rubber gloves

3. Take a can of Ams oil (you are going to need 2-3 cans)

4. Lay on your back and spray the ship out of everything metal on your truck

5. Let it sit for a few hours to dry before you drive it.

Spending $10 a can of AMS oil on the internet and not paying some one to do it, priceless. You will bond even more with your truck.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm slowly being peer pressured. Any suggestions how to get the bit of rust that's accumulated on various parts off? Just a wire brush?

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm slowly being peer pressured. Any suggestions how to get the bit of rust that's accumulated on various parts off? Just a wire brush?

wire brush and go back to step one. lol I am not hands on type of guy and I can tell you its very simple. wear "garden clothes" too

Postman

Reaction score
IM in NJ and cant find anywere that does it. I tried googling and no one around seems to do it. I really want to get this done

If I do it myself what do I spray? I guess more importantly what do I not spray?

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IM in NJ and cant find anywere that does it. I tried googling and no one around seems to do it. I really want to get this done

If I do it myself what do I spray? I guess more importantly what do I not spray?

You spray the frame, rear diff, springs etc, anything that is subject to rust and corrosion. Get under the truck and you will figure it out.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would undercoat it yourself with Amsoil MPHD. I have seen undercoating done at shops with the black stuff and it is typically done very poorly. They spray the areas that are easy, and leave the places where salt and moisture will collect, like the nooks, cracks, inside the frame, suspension, axles, etc.

The key is to get it into the nooks and crannies, where the moisture is going to collect and start rust, especially in the back-sides of body seams, which are only spot welded together.

If you take your truck to a shop to have it applied, you are likely going to get the "eye-candy" application, where the person sprays the easy-to-reach and easy-to-see areas, and skips the most important areas.

The product sprays on like WD-40, but dries to a waxy-like coating. It does not chip off, and will not wash off. It cannot be removed with cleaners, rather it takes a solvent to get it off.

Application is easy, and forgiving. You can spray it on quite liberally, to the point of having it drip off onto the floor. This makes it possible to really coat the nooks and crannies without having to worry about drips like you would with an heavy coating like an asphalt emulsion.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PhotonEffect, PostMan,
I've been using Ziebart for 35-40 years. My brother's 1995 Dodge 2500 HD V-10 is still rust free. I've had half a dozen cars and trucks done with zero rust. Not only do they undercoat, but they spray inside of doors/tailgates, and lots of difficult to accesss areas like inside the frame, body seams etc.
If you do it your self listen to the above. If you want a proven history of successful rust prevention go with Ziebart.
It you have early surface rust, take a wire brush or a scuff pad to the rust and then hit it with rust convertor. Afterwards Ziebart/do it your self...
Eddie

http://ziebart.com/

Last edited: