Rap's Being Replaced - Need Some Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mind if we ask what was wrong with the original truck that qualified it for buyback under the lemon law? Curiosity has me here.

OP
OP
M

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mileage deduction should start at the first incident that the attempt was made to correct the issue, mine started at 2k and made four separate attempts at a repair. The truck's been in and out of the shop for about three months total.

If I had kept the truck stock I wouldn't have any issues with the deal. I went with the replacement as the letter from Ford indicated that all aftermarket parts would be transferred to the new truck, which I think is going to be the biggest unknown factor. I called the dealership yesterday to make an appointment to bring my truck in to get an estimate to transfer all my equipment, and the call went unreturned.

I'm venting, sorry. Thought I had this whole thing wrapped up now I'm just frustrated.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Do you mind if we ask what was wrong with the original truck that qualified it for buyback under the lemon law? Curiosity has me here.

Tranny keeps failing and faulting even after it was replaced.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, presumably, you have not gone to arbitration or sued; rather, corporate offered the buyback, correct?

If so, you still have the option of suing, recouping all your money if you're patient. Added benefit- you get to keep the old/defective truck, put as many miles as you see fit on it while the suit goes on and still get a better deal. The question here is whether you’re willing to undertake this.

I won’t lie, it won’t be quick, BUT, it will be WAY quicker than the 10-18 months it typically takes because Ford has already admitted doing wrong.

You do not need to shell out money here. Ford has admitted they F***ed up your truck and cannot make it right. This is exceedingly rare by any auto manufacturer. Normally it requires you to sue, wait, go through the “last attempt at a repair” and wait some more until they make a low ball offer. Here, they cannot effectively present to the court any significant and credible defense because they conceded to replace the vehicle already. Are they going to seriously look the judge and your expert witnesses in the eye and say with a straight face they did this just because you are a nice guy?

Waiting you out is their strategy to avoid paying out to make it right. Normally I’ve warned people not to expect much out of a lemon law suit, but you seem to have the upper hand here. You’re probably sitting on the poker equivalent of a straight flush. Sure, a royal flush is possible, but odds are significantly against it. Plus, Ford will have to pay their lawyers for your case that they know - not suspect or think - they KNOW is an almost definite loss in court. This is not smart money spent.

You should at least carefully consider your options first, rather than just agreeing to terms. Talk to a lemon law lawyer local to you for advice. Maybe they tell you to take the deal, maybe not.

What info you’ve given inclines me to believe you should not have to shell out any money other than mileage.

This frustration you’re feeling right now? That’s the corporate auto manufacturer lawyer’s most powerful weapon. They wield it to great effect, particularly on lower income folks.

Tread carefully and good luck.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I reading this right, you are upset about a $900 deduction for 15k miles??? IMO that's a ******* steal. If I could pay $900 to get a brand new truck with zero miles, that's a total no brainer. In fact I'm surprise Ford is being so generous. 15k miles of depreciation is around $7k to $10k.

Have you looked at used prices lately? These things don't depreciate.

Side note, where are you OP that people are still asking for over MSRP on these things? Theres three local to me, two at a very reputable but slightly smaller family dealership that are optioned out and they're asking MSRP.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you looked at used prices lately? These things don't depreciate.

Side note, where are you OP that people are still asking for over MSRP on these things? Theres three local to me, two at a very reputable but slightly smaller family dealership that are optioned out and they're asking MSRP.

Every Gen 2 Raptor depreciates because obviously a brand new Raptor is a lot more desirable than a used Raptor with 15k miles. The difference in desirability is actually pretty large because a lot of buyers are afraid a vehicle like this was abused off-road.

Some people claim, "I bought mine out of state for MSRP so my truck didn't depreciate." Wrong. As soon as you brought that truck home, it was worth a lot more than you paid for it if you chose to flip it for a quick buck the next day. (which a lot of people did) If your truck was worth $80k when you bought it and it is only worth $70k today, you still lost $10k of equity because of depreciation.

And the depreciation hit will only get bigger as it becomes easier to buy these trucks brand new off dealer lots for a discount like you described.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JMO, but the fact that you are being offered a comparable new truck (less just $900 for mileage and the cost of reinstalling your optional equipment) really isn't that bad of a deal. I'm handy and do most all my aftermarket installs, but if I wasn't I'd search for a local (well rated) shop would could transfer the equipment for you. I'd also continue to work Ford/dealer to reimburse you for the labor costs (or at least split the costs as mentioned above) with you. Personally after hassling with a bad trans for as long as you have and going through the lemon law process, I'd want to put this behind me and start enjoying my new Raptor. Good luck whichever way you go and let us know the outcome!! Curious what color is your new truck?

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I reading this right, you are upset about a $900 deduction for 15k miles??? IMO that's a ******* steal. If I could pay $900 to get a brand new truck with zero miles, that's a total no brainer. In fact I'm surprise Ford is being so generous. 15k miles of depreciation is around $7k to $10k.

$900 + $2,000 to "migrate" his add-ons.

Still, using your example, a good deal.

I'd ask the dealership to split it with you. I know from the Japanese cars (Honda/Toyota/Acura) that the dealerships and mechanics eat the cost of warranty work not the corporation/engineers/manufacturers/vendors.

OP
OP
M

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

Smurf, I haven't done any arbitration or suit. I asked for a buyback with corporate 800 while my truck was sitting at the dealer, and then a month later I received a letter indicating they are offering a buyback or replacement.

I think even Ford corporate realizes that my case is a no-brainer for a buyback rather than getting it lemoned and having the title branded.

The latest is that I went to the dealer last week, met with the service manager who wrote up an estimate and sent it to corporate. Waiting on a response.

I don't think the dealer is going to split any cost with me, as the feeling I'm getting from them is that it's corporate's job to pay for the bill.

Hotlap, I'm in norcal on the coast. The closest dealer to me that has Rap's in stock is in the bay area and they have 17 of them on their lot, with a ridiculous $20k markup. They've created a museum of Raptors at this point. The color that came in is magnetic, which would probably be my third choice in color if I had to choose. RR=>Blue=>Magnetic.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you all posted. I have a meet-up at Oceano Dunes this coming weekend and would like to get this all settled.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

Smurf, I haven't done any arbitration or suit. I asked for a buyback with corporate 800 while my truck was sitting at the dealer, and then a month later I received a letter indicating they are offering a buyback or replacement.

I think even Ford corporate realizes that my case is a no-brainer for a buyback rather than getting it lemoned and having the title branded.

The latest is that I went to the dealer last week, met with the service manager who wrote up an estimate and sent it to corporate. Waiting on a response.

I don't think the dealer is going to split any cost with me, as the feeling I'm getting from them is that it's corporate's job to pay for the bill.

Hotlap, I'm in norcal on the coast. The closest dealer to me that has Rap's in stock is in the bay area and they have 17 of them on their lot, with a ridiculous $20k markup. They've created a museum of Raptors at this point. The color that came in is magnetic, which would probably be my third choice in color if I had to choose. RR=>Blue=>Magnetic.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you all posted. I have a meet-up at Oceano Dunes this coming weekend and would like to get this all settled.

Good news, sounds like you're making progress. I'm biased of course but the Magnetic is a sweet color and doesn't show dirt as bad as some of the other colors! Especially with the bead lock (black) wheels!! PS, if I was closer, I'd come help you switch out the upgrades (cost you a few beers though) ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: