New Wheels - One Side Sticks out Farther than the Other - Shims???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - threw a set of Icon Rebounds on my truck a couple of weeks ago (kept the stock tires). After mounting them and putting them on the truck, the shop noticed one side stuck out farther than the other and I could see it too. I have measured it out to around 3/8". Both tires on the passenger side stick out about 3/8" farther than the driver's side. After putting the wheels in, my truck went in to have the oil pan gasket replaced (due to oil leak), I asked the dealer to take a look and see if the body is shifted on the frame. He came back with the "we cant do anything about it" speech basically... It is not SUPER noticeable, but since I know it is there, it bugs me... My question for you guys is, what are your thoughts on the shims (below)? Could I add a 1/4" shim to both wheels on the driver's side and get them very close to equal (within 1/8")?

Also going to try to attach a couple of pictures for reference...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-WHEELS-SPACERS-BILLET-Ford-F150-Truck-6-lug-6x135/381512036630?fits=Model%3AF-150&hash=item58d3e3b116:g:yKgAAOSwwPhWjVwK&vxp=mtr

file11.jpg

file12.jpg

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that would drive me nuts. its an easy fix, loosen body/bed bolts and push it over. dealer should do it...so try another. aslo a shop that does lift kits (ie body lift) could tackle it

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
For something this precise, your photos should be mirrors basically... and they’re not. You can easily see grille in one picture and not the other, so the perspective is off.

get on level ground, and hang a plumb line from the edge of your trim as a basic reference. take a measurement and pictures, then remove the trim and repeat with the outside edge of the body that the trim attaches to in order to account for body work variances - as best this sort of experiment can.

This really should be done with the bare wheels, but that’s not very practical.

My other thought would be to affix a clamped fixture to the frame and measure straight to the wheel edge from inside on all 4 corners.

I would not shim wheels, but that’s just me.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bed was shifted 1/2'' to the driver's side. It took a while to realize it and narrow it down to the bed. I thought it might be the axle or suspension at first.

I measured/took pics and the dealer acknowledged it. They fixed it under warranty in a day.

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics were for reference only, I agree they are not perfect. I did the plumb-bob trick a week ago (without taking the flares off) and that is how I came up with the 3/8" difference.

I will try taking the truck to another dealership to see if they will fix it for me.