Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]

"First 2017 Ford Raptor Prerunner"

This is a discussion on "First 2017 Ford Raptor Prerunner" within the Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!

User Tag List

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation "First 2017 Ford Raptor Prerunner"
Brad DeBerti Builds First 2017 Ford Raptor Prerunner

There has been plenty of hype on the all-new 2017 Ford Raptor, but we found the first one turned into a luxury prerunner. At the Ford booth, Brad DeBerti displayed his Raptor Prerunner that he built for the show.

The truck which had 32 miles on it when it was received, had been cut and fabricated into a one of a kinda prerunner. We had a chance to catch up with Brad and get the inside scoop. “The hard thing about this truck was that nothing was created,” Brad explained. “We had to create everything from the fenders to the wheel hubs.”

Innova 17-inch wheels and 39-inch BFGoodrich Baja T/A allow this prerunner to be ready for any terrain while the KC lights allow the night to turn to day.
CAD was used a lot during the build to stretch the fenders and to design the cage. “Everything changes in the design process,” Brad continued. “The fender vents and the pieces on the rear fenders to keep all the body lines were all 3D printed.”

With a busy schedule and only six weeks to build the truck, Brad and his team had to build the truck on weeks between races. Travel time to and from the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series and the Regional Series meant that was time away from the build.

It may be hard to cut up a vehicle, but it is even harder to do knowing that you have one of the first 2017 Raptors out. The crew pulled the bed off the truck and cut the frame off from the cab back and a new tube frame was created. “With the four-link, back-half, and the front long travel done I decided to do a cut cab with three Kicker 12-inch subs,” Brad said. “I wanted to do something different. I have never seen a prerunner with a cool system like this.”

One thing you do not see everyday in a prerunner is a stereo system with three 12-inch subs.

One of the coolest features on the truck is out back. “A lot of prerunners when you get two tires side-by-side the bedsides have to bow for clearance,” Brad explained. “To keep all the body lines straight and to make it as factory as possible, the front of the bedsides were mounted on nylon washers which with a pull of the rear pins the bedside rotates out.”

The outside of the truck may look decked out, but the inside is tricked out just the same. “The truck is still loaded with the factory dash, headliner, and seats,” Brad said. “I ordered two more front seats as well as another center console to add in the rear. With that, all the seats now have heated seats making it a true luxury prerunner.”

The truck may look good inside and out, but it is just as functional with massive wheel travel and a full working interior.
The truck cycles 19 inches of wheel travel up front and the rear of the truck cycles 30 inches while maintaining four-wheel-drive. Normally, when cutting up a truck like this there is an issue with warning lights on the dash. This truck has no lights, includes working ABS, and starts right up.

This luxury 2017 Ford Raptor prerunner may look good on the show floor, but it will see time out in Pismo Beach, California. This is definitely one truck that will drive just as well as it looks.

WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

That thing is "BAD ASS"
WhatExit? likes this.
Gatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default "First 2017 Ford Raptor Prerunner"
Badass just let me know when I can order those fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stickman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

aka Wreckless117

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

6 weeks.... 6 WEEKS... including all the one off pieces. Impressed.

www.haynesoffroad.com

Instagram: instagram.com/haynesoffroad

HAYNES OFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

somebody define 'prerunner' for me - I thought that was a Toyota?
jdaallen and Wassy like this.

Toadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
somebody define 'prerunner' for me - I thought that was a Toyota?
Traditionally, a prerunner is a truck that is used by race drivers in Baja (and similar) to drive the course prior to the race in an effort to familiarize themselves with the course and to plot strategy. Thus, the drivers were "pre-running" the course.

Last edited by BurnOut; 11-03-2016 at 02:59 PM.
BurnOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Not a fan of the 17 by any means so I won't comment much, but how do they get those spares out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gilligan likes this.

ICON 3.0 - ICON UCA - ICON Leaf Springs - SVC Bypass Rack - Custom King 4.0s - ICON BUMPSTOP/FRAME SUPPORT - RPG TIE RODS - ICON LCA SKIDS - UMP INTAKE - MBRP TURDOWN W/RES - 5STAR TUNE - METHOD 17" 105 BEADLOCKS - 37" BFG BAJA T/A KR - RPG RACELINE FRONT/REAR BUMPER - R1 BRAKE PACKAGE WITH AMSOIL FLUID AND SDHQ SS LINES - 5 x 6.7 VIS X LIGHT CANNONS - BD 60" ONNX ARC RE - BD S2 RE - LINEX BED - CRAVEN STUBBY
RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by RLTW View Post
how do they get those spares out?

In the article:

One of the coolest features on the truck is out back. “A lot of prerunners when you get two tires side-by-side the bedsides have to bow for clearance,” Brad explained. “To keep all the body lines straight and to make it as factory as possible, the front of the bedsides were mounted on nylon washers which with a pull of the rear pins the bedside rotates out.”
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

So you have to rotate the bedsides out just to remove a spare? I think I'd rather have bowed fenders, there's enough going on when you need a spare, just dismounting 39s on a trail is back breaking, adding another step would just irritate me.

ICON 3.0 - ICON UCA - ICON Leaf Springs - SVC Bypass Rack - Custom King 4.0s - ICON BUMPSTOP/FRAME SUPPORT - RPG TIE RODS - ICON LCA SKIDS - UMP INTAKE - MBRP TURDOWN W/RES - 5STAR TUNE - METHOD 17" 105 BEADLOCKS - 37" BFG BAJA T/A KR - RPG RACELINE FRONT/REAR BUMPER - R1 BRAKE PACKAGE WITH AMSOIL FLUID AND SDHQ SS LINES - 5 x 6.7 VIS X LIGHT CANNONS - BD 60" ONNX ARC RE - BD S2 RE - LINEX BED - CRAVEN STUBBY
RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by RLTW View Post
So you have to rotate the bedsides out just to remove a spare? I think I'd rather have bowed fenders, there's enough going on when you need a spare, just dismounting 39s on a trail is back breaking, adding another step would just irritate me.

Man the fucking up and let your pit crew do the work!
@Yukon Joe + @RaptorWifey =
2012 Night Raptor wrap SCREW RPG Stage 4+
2014 Ruby Red SCAB
jdaallen likes this.

2012 SCREW | NIGHT RAPTOR Revolution Wrap | RPG Stage 4+, Black Tie-rods, Prerunner 1.0 UCA, Steering Res | AMB LED Light Kit | Raptor Retrofit HIDs w/ Amber Ring | Hefty Fabworks Skid Plates | ADD ABS Guard | Recon 10500lb Winch w/ Factor55 | Whelen LEDs | WSI FE Mount | Extang Solidfold | Weathertech Liners | PDP Flaps | TYT9000VHF Radio |
I love Raptorwifey
Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote