Driving in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michelleandrews

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Is it better to put the truck in 4 high over 4 auto when driving in the snow? When I put my truck in the weather mode it automatically goes into 4A. Also should I turn off the traction control when driving in the snow?

derise

Reaction score
Yea seriously why are u trying to reinvent the wheel. Just use weather mode and go. If it gets deep enough use 4H.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4 high is not an auto 4 wheel mode. Use it when the road is a foot deep of snow. With skiffs of snow and dry pavement use the weather mode. Go to raptor status on dash and you will see perimeters you are setting

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

The old model didn't have a mode for light snow.

I assume "light snow" = 2 to 4 inches relatively dry and "deep snow" = > 4 inches and or wet/with ice and slick.

The old procedure: Deep snow:
4H/Off mode Rode/Single Press tract control button/Locking diff normal position.

Since the manual had no procedure for light snow i made up one:
Light Snow not slick: 2wdr/Off mode road/single press traction control. Edit: On second thought off road mode might not be great, it increases tq by changing shift points which is not a great idea if there is wet snow or ice. Youd be better off just with a single press of the TC to allow some wheel spin and using 4H as needed.

^^Same procedure as high speed of road minus activating the locker. Obviously if the rear wheels start to slip its safe to switch to 4h and if traction at low speeds is still a problem you can activate the locker (i would turn off the locker above a certain speed and if im not mistaken even the older trucks will turn off the locker above a certain speed automatically)

Its Probably a good idea for you 17 and up guys to get an idea of what your trucks are actually doing rather than always trusting the settings. (You don't want to lose your dog fighting skills and end up like Goose did in training). I assume the auto setting is just doing what i said above on the fly for you (or some approximation).

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Weather/4A is plenty good for anything that has a road under it. I was offroad in over a foot of snow using that setting and doing well for the most part.

When it got steep and the truck was struggling for grip, turning the traction control off and engaging 4H and the diff-locker helped me get that last little bit of traction. But if you are in conditions like that, you better have rescue gear and a buddy because you are pushing the limits.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it better to put the truck in 4 high over 4 auto when driving in the snow? When I put my truck in the weather mode it automatically goes into 4A. Also should I turn off the traction control when driving in the snow?

I am also curious as to how others feel about the 4A mode. When comparing how 4A in the Raptor works in comparison to my wife's Acura MDX and a Nissan Armada that I use to own, I am very disappointed. The 4A in the Raptor seems very primitive and clunky compared to the other two vehicles.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am also curious as to how others feel about the 4A mode. When comparing how 4A in the Raptor works in comparison to my wife's Acura MDX and a Nissan Armada that I use to own, I am very disappointed. The 4A in the Raptor seems very primitive and clunky compared to the other two vehicles.

Yes, 4A is nothing like AWD in drivetrains that were designed for AWD, especially when combined with the Torsen Diff. I cannot stand the torque steer in 4A and only use it in slippery conditions when I don't want the rear end stepping out on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter