CA MSRP Deals?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

I've been a long time lurker of the Gen 2 threads and been waiting to register until I knew more about when things were going to be available. One thing I have noticed is there are a ton of differing views on availability and allocations vs orders.

I was trying to wait until I was able to see Avalanche and Graphite in person to decide which I wanted before ordering, but it looks like with the huge demand, I may never actually see one at a dealership....so here I am, way behind the curve for ordering, and my question is if orders are still available to "all that want one". I called my local dealer (El Cajon Ford) and they said orders were not available, but I feel like people on this forum have stated there were dealers still taking orders, so I have a few questions:

1) Are dealers actually taking orders, or only selling their specific allocation orders
2) If so, does anyone know were in CA I would be able to get an order at MSRP?
3) Does anyone know where I would be able to get an allocation at MSRP?

Thanks and sorry for what I am sure is a duplicate post...as you know, there are hundreds of pages on these topics, so it gets a little convoluted trying to parse the answers, especially since people here get into arguments so easily with vastly different opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

I've been a long time lurker of the Gen 2 threads and been waiting to register until I knew more about when things were going to be available. One thing I have noticed is there are a ton of differing views on availability and allocations vs orders.

I was trying to wait until I was able to see Avalanche and Graphite in person to decide which I wanted before ordering, but it looks like with the huge demand, I may never actually see one at a dealership....so here I am, way behind the curve for ordering, and my question is if orders are still available to "all that want one". I called my local dealer (El Cajon Ford) and they said orders were not available, but I feel like people on this forum have stated there were dealers still taking orders, so I have a few questions:

1) Are dealers actually taking orders, or only selling their specific allocation orders

Thanks and sorry for what I am sure is a duplicate post...as you know, there are hundreds of pages on these topics, so it gets a little convoluted trying to parse the answers, especially since people here get into arguments so easily with vastly different opinions.

Thanks in advance.

CA is notorious for big markups. I live in NorCal and all dealers I called wanted 10-20k plus MSRP. Maybe more remote areas of CA you might have better luck. I ended ordering from out of state at 5k plus Msrp. I got tired of hunting for a better deal. Your best bet is out of state. There's another thread on dealers with open allocations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
K

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CA is notorious for big markups. I live in NorCal and all dealers I called wanted 10-20k plus MSRP. Maybe more remote areas of CA you might have better luck. I ended ordering from out of state at 5k plus Msrp. I got tired of hunting for a better deal. Your best bet is out of state. There's another thread on dealers with open allocations.

Thanks man. Is there anything special registration or smog wise with buying an out of state vehicle seeing that CA is smog Nazis...

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. Is there anything special registration or smog wise with buying an out of state vehicle seeing that CA is smog Nazis...

I have no clue yet. I've only lived her for 18 months. I'll figure that out when I get the truck, I'm fairly certain Ford has not been manufacturing them different for CA dealers. In most states, brand new cars are excluded from emissions test. The only complication i know is that my dealer has to remit tax to CA. They seem to have a handle on the process. The hard part is getting the truck... everything else can be worked out later.

OP
OP
K

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no clue yet. I've only lived her for 18 months. I'll figure that out when I get the truck, I'm fairly certain Ford has not been manufacturing them different for CA dealers. In most states, brand new cars are excluded from emissions test. The only complication i know is that my dealer has to remit tax to CA. They seem to have a handle on the process. The hard part is getting the truck... everything else can be worked out later.

Yeah, I just want to make sure I don't get in some quandary where they wont register it or whatever...I have heard different rules like needing to get 7500 miles before being able to transfer a new vehicle, but that may only be for 49 state vehicles...

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just want to make sure I don't get in some quandary where they wont register it or whatever...I have heard different rules like needing to get 7500 miles before being able to transfer a new vehicle, but that may only be for 49 state vehicles...

I don't think it counts as a transfer in that sense because I'm declaring the vehicle for use in CA at purchase and I'm paying full CA tax and no Ohio tax. I think the situation they worry about on transfer is that you buy and pay tax in a lower tax state and then bring it to CA right away and try to avoid CA tax.

OP
OP
K

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it counts as a transfer in that sense because I'm declaring the vehicle for use in CA at purchase and I'm paying full CA tax and no Ohio tax. I think the situation they worry about on transfer is that you buy and pay tax in a lower tax state and then bring it to CA right away and try to avoid CA tax.

That's probably true...I just know the government officials are idiots here, so I don't take anything for granted...haha

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably true...I just know the government officials are idiots here, so I don't take anything for granted...haha

Its all about sales tax. If you buy out of state, make sure the taxes go to CA. You don't want to be in a position of having to pay CA tax in full when registering it and trying to get a refund from another state. My Ohio dealer is remitting tax directly to CA.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
local dealer wanted $30k over MSRP

ended up putting an MSRP order in Colorado, will fly there, and drive home and save $28k in the process :biggrin:

SOAKINRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the info to buy out of state is ine this thread, PM me if you have any questions, I got down!!

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/ca-buying-raptor-out-state-49127/

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

All,

Thanks in advance.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/ca-buying-raptor-out-state-49127/