CA - Buying a Raptor out of State?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you are at the deaership they will ask you for your address. you pay taxes there for whichever state you reside in. if its worth it, all depends on how much you are saving compared to ca dealers. need to figure in cost to fly out to pick it up, the drive back, hotel, gas, food, etc.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

since you are in socal, check with @Raptizzle he might be able to help you out with a truck

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, if you find yourself at a dealer that won't collect CA tax, usually you can just drive home on a temp plate from the dealer and then register it yourself at the DMV. Either way, it's worth calling ahead to verify how they handle it.

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this with a vette last sept, some things to be aware of: You need to make sure that the emissions sticker says CA, else it can't be registered in state until 7500 miles. You have to have it smogged and then inspected (AAA did the inspection and registered it for me). The computer on a GM car will fail the smog until it hits 1k ish miles, not sure about fords. I paid the tax at AAA then the dealer reimbursed me, but you might be able to work that out better. It wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't something I knew about before hand. Some dealers also have a service in CA that can take care of the reg stuff for you.

When I did it Z06's in CA were $20k over sticker, so yea, it was well worth it, plus it was a nice road trip from the NCM in kentucky.

Last edited:

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I got my GT350 in AZ. They wouldn't collect tax or reg for CA so they sent me with a 90 day tag. I had to get it smogged and inspected at the DMV. I worked with a company called CARS that took care of everything else for $65. I sent them the CC to pay for reg fees and taxes.

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine today from KS. They are shipping it to a dealer local to me here in Southern Cali for the emissions. They are also charging me the tax and registering it for me.

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it's personal. Lol kidding

Jeff graham
Louisberg Ford
Louisberg, KS
1-877-901-4311

He is out of town from tomorrow till the 4th of August.

I don't get a thing for recommending people, but tell him you got his name from me on the forums. So far has treated me right and want to pass it along.

D

Deleted member 12951

Sorry it's personal. Lol kidding

Jeff graham

Louisberg Ford

Louisberg, KS

1-877-901-4311

He is out of town from tomorrow till the 4th of August.

I don't get a thing for recommending people, but tell him you got his name from me on the forums. So far has treated me right and want to pass it along.

Jeff Lunsford can take care of you there too. He is also the finance guy.