Anyone that switched from small car to the raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vladi

Reaction score
Anyone that made the switch from a small compact car to the raptor want to note their experience!? Thinking of taking the truck plunge after being married to my audi a4 for 18 years now :)

rocket

Reaction score
i'm going from an SL500 to the raptor. i feel like a 8 foot tall basketball player. i can see so far ahead its crazy! i climb up instead of down into my car. and its faster off the line, and accelerating from speed then my other car. suffice it to say i'm one happy customer!

OP
OP
V

vladi

Reaction score
I test drove the 2017 f-150 scab 3.5 since i could not drive the raptor at my dealer. The main difference that struck me was the weight. It is very slow in changing direction compared to steering input. I wonder if the scab raptor with a smaller wheel base and fox shocks would be better.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use to have a VW GTI. It's nice driving a larger vehicle. The truck handles great. The only thing that is a bitch is parking a super crew (finding a space big enough), but I usually park in BFE so it's not bad. The gas mileage is half of what I use to get, but I didn't buy a raptor to be worried about gas.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last tuck was a 02 Silverado 2500HD on 35s. It was 4 inches taller and 6 inches longer but 4 inches narrower than my Raptor. Overall it wasn't really too different size wise. Once you get used to the overall size, it's not to hard to manage. The only thing I've found to be an issue is narrow ATMs (thankfully the mirrors fold in). It also easily fits in the garage at work (7'2" height restriction) but did drag the antenna on the surveillance cameras (swapped to a stubby, problem solved).

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I test drove the 2017 f-150 scab 3.5 since i could not drive the raptor at my dealer. The main difference that struck me was the weight. It is very slow in changing direction compared to steering input. I wonder if the scab raptor with a smaller wheel base and fox shocks would be better.

It's something you get used to. The truck weighs nearly 6000 lbs, long travel suspension, and tires with a very tall sidewall. All of that translates to slower reactions to steering input. Once you get used to how the suspension sets in a corner you will realize the limits are far beyond what you expect. At first it's a little unnerving going into a turn and the weight transfers. Feels like you are going to roll over. It will never feel or handle like a performance sedan/car but for what it is it does very well. The difference in feel between the SCAB and SCREW I am betting is very minimal. Turning radius on the SCAB is better, parking is easier. On road handling similar. That said the standard F150 will feel much different than a Raptor.

I should add that when I had my 2011 Raptor SCAB we also had a 2011 BMW Z4. One extreme to the other. You adjust.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it’s a big leap, but you will adapt. It handles great for what it is, but you will not be driving this, the same as an a4. The Raptor is every bit as modern as any other vehicle out there, has great power and acceleration, ride quality is great. You will need to plan your parking more, but otherwise... it’s pretty easy to get used to.

akaie15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 3series BMW. The first week it felt huge. It's felt smaller everyday since.

My first car was a 78 Ford LTD country squire. About the same length as my raptor screw, so I feel like a teenager again. Except the station wagon took about 15 sec to hit 60. Softer ride. lol