10 speed , 3 too many

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Driving in perfect conditions , 70 mph , no wind , flat. Down shifting all the way to 7th had no effect on shown mpg. Interesting

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford 10R80 10 Speed Transmission Specs & Ratios

ratios are lower...drive long enough, there is a delta, may be just a fraction enough to claim 18 highway over 17 for Ford...

Smart transmissions...go figure.

3 overdrive gears, integrated electric fluid pump to permit start-stop function, instrument cluster readout displaying current gear at all times, adaptive learning cycle perpetually making transmission shift schedule adjustments in order to maximize acceleration, fuel economy, and performance.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford 10R80 10 Speed Transmission Specs & Ratios

ratios are lower...drive long enough, there is a delta, may be just a fraction enough to claim 18 highway over 17 for Ford...

Smart transmissions...go figure.

3 overdrive gears, integrated electric fluid pump to permit start-stop function, instrument cluster readout displaying current gear at all times, adaptive learning cycle perpetually making transmission shift schedule adjustments in order to maximize fuel economy, fuel economy, and fuel economy.

Fixed it for you.
ok, it does help move the truck out sharply.

I don’t think it’s so much the number of gears as it is the programming, particularly in ‘normal’ drive mode. The guys who have gotten tunes report much better, more responsive shifting, etc.

I agree with @Frank N, you could lock out the top 3 and test over the long term. On the highway, mpg will take a hit, the question is what about in town, or mixed driving? I’ve gotten very similar results using sport mode vs. normal in mixed driving across multiple fuel refills.

I think 10 is a fine number gears, but if you ever want to go from 10th to say... 3rd or 4th you’re going to wait a while for that to happen. I think anything 8-10 downshifts out of OD, then to a more appropriate gear in a multi step process. Maybe it’s just perception.

I still like the 10 speed transmission, but I’d give it different programming if it were up to me.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine will drop fronm tenth to third or fourth as smooth as a single gear change. Gearhead tune. Tried at 50 mph

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I think I'd enjoy the truck more with a 6-8 speed transmission, especially while using the paddle shifters. I've been making an effort to drive around with them on a regular basis to get used to them. I've got the Whipple tune and it's a lot of fun going through the lower gears, but at highway speed and downshifting several gears at once can be a bit distracting.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gearhead tune works for me. Truck is responsive and trans is perfect. Cruise set at 50 and you pull gear selecter to manual and you are in 8th. Pull a trailer no problem. Somebody else driving and they put regular in, no problem.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hell, if we are wishing what they could have done with the transmission other than the 10 speed that comes in the Raptor. I would elect to go with the Mercedes 7 speed AMG Speedshift DCT. That would be my wish list for the transmission.