Duratrac balancing issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOLVED: Tire place was able to spin balance and all's well. All 4 were out of balance. (How the dealer failed twice with 7 different tires and a road force balancer is beyond me.)

TL;DR version of this thread - dealership service dept. sucks at balancing tires.

Posting this for my fellow Raptor owning buddy who doesn't want the NSA to know what kind of vehicle he drives...

Based on my recommendation (formed by reading the myriad of positive reviews on FRF) my friend had his Ford dealer put 35" Duratracs on his '12. He noticed right away they weren't properly balanced - severe vibration at 50+ MPH.

Dealer took the truck back and claimed 3 or the 4 tires were "bad." 3 days and 3 new tires later, the issue is no better... in fact, it's worse. (For round 2 the dealer used their road force balancer for which they attempted to bill him $1800 labor. Ha! Nice try...)

Anyway, buddy called Goodyear this morning and they told him to bring it to Hank Mays and they'd "make it right." I assume that means Goodyear will absorb any cost involved.

So, FRF - is this a case of a crappy dealer who doesn't know how to balance tires, or is there really some issue with Duratracs? I feel badly for having recommended them, and planned to get a set of my own when my factory BFGs wear out. Poor guy has been back and forth and without his truck for days.

I'll post back the result of Goodyear "making it right," but am interested in others' experiences.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The road force balancer will tell if the tires are indeed bad because if they are far enough out of round it won't even provide an alignment spot to turn the wheel on the rim to match up to. But, having a technician that knows how to use the balancer, if it is indeed a road force balance unit (I have heard of and seen shops claim they had them when they in fact did not) is a plus. My 14 Roush bounced like crazy when I got it with Cooper 37's on it and road force balance solved that. But if GY said they'd make it right, let them deal with the balancing and or replacement if needed.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been having some issues with my Duratracs as well - though I don't have any good information for you. I'm going to be watching this thread.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of mine was difficult to balance but they spun it on the rim a little and it balanced just fine.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just took mine off for the summer months. Ran them for about 10K miles this past winter with no issues.

This was their second winter. After next winter I'll probably run them through the year, but as of right now they still look great.

Yukon Joe