Volant CAI Intake Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was similar but less detailed.

I actually just ordered a 4" to 3.5" rubber reducer and a couple hose clamps. My plan is the retain the Volant box and filter, but have the intake tube feed into the stock intake silencer to muffle the intake noise. This should make the same power and be a bit quieter.

Damn, so the absense of the air box silencer is that noticeable? I can't decide what intake kit I want, or if I should keep the silencer or not. I wouldn't mind it a tad bit louder, but if it sounds stupid, drones and doesn't filter worth a shit I wont be happy.

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
I could care less about the silencer box. I like a little talk in my truck.

Damn, so the absense of the air box silencer is that noticeable? I can't decide what intake kit I want, or if I should keep the silencer or not. I wouldn't mind it a tad bit louder, but if it sounds stupid, drones and doesn't filter worth a shit I wont be happy.

I have no doubt that the filter works great and it doesn't drone at light throttle and cruise speeds. The noise occurs at slightly more aggressive throttle inputs, especially under load like when you're climbing a hill or pulling a trailer.

I already spent the roughly $20 and ordered the parts that should allow me to run all the Volant parts and the factory intake silencer. If I get the parts by tomorrow, I'll have it done this weekend and I'll provide feedback on the results.

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
I just added a quick cell phone video from today... WOT first, then cruise speed, and a quick drive through my neighborhood on some hills. Unfortunately, I don't think my phone does a good job of capturing the audio. Its a lot louder in person than it sounds on the video and it doesn't seem to pick up all the various noises.

Kraka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as I was installing the intake the directions said to add on the bracket for the res support. after I got it all hooked up. Blah. So no where does it say remove the filter so you can get the bolt through the little hole.

I had to take a break. It is seriously like 12* outside. My fingers and toes are frozen. Almost done though.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
So as I was installing the intake the directions said to add on the bracket for the res support. after I got it all hooked up. Blah. So no where does it say remove the filter so you can get the bolt through the little hole.

I had to take a break. It is seriously like 12* outside. My fingers and toes are frozen. Almost done though.

hahaa you need a torpedo heater.

Kraka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's all installed. Wound up not using the other bracket because it didn't fit correctly. It holds well without it. I really havn't got on it yet, but I will be able to see if there is a difference tmrw morning on the way to work. I will let you know what I think tmrw Iceman

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Well it's all installed. Wound up not using the other bracket because it didn't fit correctly. It holds well without it. I really havn't got on it yet, but I will be able to see if there is a difference tmrw morning on the way to work. I will let you know what I think tmrw Iceman

Sounds good.

Kraka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so far I haven't really seen a difference. It seems like it made my exhaust quieter, but that could be because it is balancing out front and back (noise). I did however have an issue with the big hose that goes back into the head. It wasn't long enough and it was kinking. I was getting a whining noise when sitting at idle. I went to Auto Zone and bought a 2' hose and that fixed the kinking. Volant supplies a 1.5' hose.

Did anyone else have this issue? By the way the hose only ran me like -$4

Kraka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
237019350_photobucket_33337_.jpg
237019350_photobucket_33336_.jpg

Here is a shot of the new hose i bought, because the other one was kinking.
237019350_photobucket_33669_.jpg