Spark Plug Warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my Whipple install guys and ran into a big headache with the stock factory spark plugs.

When I removed the top set of plugs myself I noticed they required a lot of torque to release and came loose with a loud CRACK sound. Sharp enough to make you cringe hearing and feeling that on an aluminum head.

I let my performance shop do the bottom ones since they are such a pain to get to. In process of the removing the lowers the front driver side plug was in so tight that it damaged the threads in the cylinder head when it released.

They spent 5 hrs carefully chasing the threads back out by hand and all is well.
The factory spark plugs had no anti-seize on them.

As we are starting to get some miles on our trucks watch out for this when you do a tune up.

Has anyone else run into something like this when removing the original spark plugs ???

Reaction score
Was the engine warm when you did this or cold? On my 06 Mustang GT they had alot of problem with the 2 piece spark plugs breaking off in the heads. The solution was to soak them in PB Blaster while the engine was still hot and work the plugs back and forth little by little adding more pb blaster as you go. This same process may work on the Raptor.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was the engine warm when you did this or cold? On my 06 Mustang GT they had alot of problem with the 2 piece spark plugs breaking off in the heads. The solution was to soak them in PB Blaster while the engine was still hot and work the plugs back and forth little by little adding more pb blaster as you go. This same process may work on the Raptor.

Right on. I work on cars for a living. Always use pb blaster on aluminum heads when removing plugs. Let em soak. Makes life much easier. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold engine.

This is on an engine with 5,000 miles. Not like there was time for anything to seize from use or oxidation. Basically a brand new motor.

Molten1

Reaction score
I've been wrenching on my own cars since I could drive them and have never heard of PB Blaster. Since three of my vehicles are aluminum headed, I guess it's time to ask...what is it?

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peanut butter,you wrap it around the plugs start the engine let it warm and it blasts those plugs out.

Not, it's a release like wd40.

Molten1

Reaction score
Smooth or crunchy?:laughing1:

Is PB Blaster the name brand? I'm about to change the plugs on my Cobra so I figure I'll give it a try.