put up your dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what jumps out at me on this is his comments on under hood open air filters. that section is not likely to be popular here.

He is right on there. I have seen it a ton of times myself. You open the hood on a stock filter and a closed hood on an aftermarket filter and you can see as much as a 30 hp change on the stock set up. The only system that I know of that pulls air outside of the engine bay, that will fit our trucks is the Voilant closed system scoop intake that draws air from the front of the grill. You of course must also purchase the volant closed filter intake system to use this option but it does actually take air from outside the engine compartment. That is about the only product on the market that can claim they use "colder" air. Will it increase power???? That would have to be tested, which to my knowledge has not be substantiated.

Attachments

• volant scoop.jpg
    volant scoop.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 106
  • volant 2.jpg
    volant 2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
OP
OP
Wilson

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the open hood on a aftermarket would be worse. I have an aFe I'm new to all this so it's just my logic of thinking. I did not shut the om cold air under wheel intake so I'm hoping with the hood shut I'm not taking in all the hot air but making it breath whatever is easiest is where your air is coming from so where is that? probably around the top with only a bit being pulled up. how would one test this theory?
also what is better breath ability or getting that tad bit cooler air?

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the open hood on a aftermarket would be worse. I have an aFe I'm new to all this so it's just my logic of thinking. I did not shut the om cold air under wheel intake so I'm hoping with the hood shut I'm not taking in all the hot air but making it breath whatever is easiest is where your air is coming from so where is that? probably around the top with only a bit being pulled up. how would one test this theory?
also what is better breath ability or getting that tad bit cooler air?

Frankly from what I have seen the aftermarkets are no better at pulling cooler air than the stock unit. The only one I know of is the above^^^

OP
OP
Wilson

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO putting on a hose to draw are from outside the engine bay if It's not bigger than your tub going to the intake it's too restrictive. cold air is important but is it more important than flow. I don't think so as long as you are getting as much cold air you can with volume. meanings you might get some bay temp air.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO putting on a hose to draw are from outside the engine bay if It's not bigger than your tub going to the intake it's too restrictive. cold air is important but is it more important than flow. I don't think so as long as you are getting as much cold air you can with volume. meanings you might get some bay temp air.

You would only pull in enough to match the diameter of the tubing. You really don't need a huge outlet for that. Keep in mind the air is forceably PULLED into the intake. I just don't think, without a tune to take advantage of an aftermarket intake, you will see little or no change in power.

OP
OP
Wilson

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
38501d1386951697t-put-up-your-dyno-results-volant-scoop.jpg

I'm referring to this looks more restrictive than the tube going to the intake. more air would imo be better than not enough cool air. ? remember I have know idea what I'm talking about I'm just using my logic.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
38501d1386951697t-put-up-your-dyno-results-volant-scoop.jpg

I'm referring to this looks more restrictive than the tube going to the intake. more air would imo be better than not enough cool air. ? remember I have know idea what I'm talking about I'm just using my logic.

I am certainly not trying to sell Volant products but the diameter of the tubing is the same as the tubing going to the TB.