Power Steering Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took out my whole rack and replaced with PCM hydrolic steering . Costly but nothing will break now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easier and cheaper for you to go with a Howe power steering set up. Hydrolic steering is way too much fabrication work and not worth it if your a casual off-roader. You loose all power steering n turning a wheel is a effort on its own

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering doing the Howe rack.
I'm on stock rack number three currently, they are a silly design, very little provision for any kind lateral load on the output shaft.
It'd be cool if one of the manufacturers could come up with a parallel support rack that'd work with the stock rack and outputs. It'd take the lateral loads that the stock piece can't handle. Similar to the Howe setup.
But lord knows, we will likely get another uca and bumpstop option instead... :ROFLJest:

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they took off the howe set due to issues.
i was going to get it but ended up pitching for cash for hydrolic link steering setup with a hydrolic pump . now that's bulletproof crawling over rocks, kias, liberals... ive replaced a few oem steering racks. got sick and tired of cracking the casings. they couldn't handle turning 40 inch tire for crap

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took out my whole rack and replaced with PCM hydrolic steering . Costly but nothing will break now

Have any pictures and/or info? Something significantly better than stock is on my radar for sometime in the future.

REKIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy the Howe package? is the pump talked about in 2013 out yet?

SILVER

Reaction score
So I bought the Howe power steering kit and had a local shop install it. (TC pump, high pressure hoses, reservoir) They had to add spacers to push out my Whipple Supercharger's intercooler so the Howe reservoir would fit. It steers at stop now but its rough to the right and really rough and loud to the left. I called Howe and they said this is normal and that I'm not the first to call about the issue. He said the problem was with the stock rack but it didn't do it with the stock pump. I'm not sure if I would prefer the stock pump which performs good but dies at 30k or this $1200 kit that is choppy and loud but supposedly will last. Not happy Ford didn't put some effort into getting this right in the first place. Especially considering the price of these trucks. Also so far not very happy with the Howe kit. I would buy the Howe rack if it ever comes out though as I am now pretty much committed. Hopefully the rack would fix my problem.