MPT vs. 5-Star Tune - Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToucanLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys - here's some info that may be helpful to anyone choosing a new tune!

I have a 13' Raptor with an Airaid intake and Cosa catback that I have had 5-star tuned from 1500km to 25000km.

After flashing to the 91 Performance tune from Mike the truck was definitely faster than the stock tune. However the tune had several bugs in it that were never right.

The shifting was down right brutal. Full throttle shifts would feel like they were ripping the rear end out of the truck, and not in a good way that made the truck feel faster. These banging shifts were inconsistent, some shifts were 'firm' which was good, but some were down right brutal and felt like mentioned above. I asked Mike to give me stock transmission tuning which did fix the issue, but left me with mushy shifting.

I also have a 11' F150 5.0 with a 5-Star tune and had the same issue - reverted to stock transmission tuning on that as well.

I also had an issue with surging after shifts and on big throttle tip in. If you were at 2000 rpm in 2nd gear cruising at 5% throttle and punched it to 60% the truck would ever so slightly surge as if the throttle plate went from 5% to 70% then 50% then settle in at 60% - very annoying and was present on both tunes from Mike. This issue was even more noticeable in off-road mode. Also full throttle shifts engine wise felt like the truck was running lean on shifts or something was funky, there was always a big throttle dip on shifting.

Decided after doing some research and watching videos of MPT actually dyno tuning a 6.2 with proper equipment (knock microphone ETC) to try them out... (video here that I watched) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXxx2XfOjCc

WOW what a difference!

Their 91 Race tune has amazing shifting - firmer than stock but does not bang or feel damaging to the truck. Great shifting strategy as well, holds 6th a bit longer and downshifts nicely. Does not instantly jump into 3rd like stock - holds 2nd longer. Just feels smart and well thought out - does not hold gears crazy long at low throttle % like the 5-star did either which is nice!

Power wise the surging throttle is completely gone, and power is SMOOTH and clean. I am not going to blow smoke and say one tune feels insanely faster than the other raw power wise, but the MPT definitely feels stronger in the top end and off the line, mid range feels similar - the main thing to note is how smooth the power delivery is, refined the shifting strategy is, and firm but not harsh and damaging the full throttle shifts are.

Enjoy!

Going to be ordering a MPT tune for my F150 5.0 now too - will post data on that when that happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

ToucanLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ That is irrelevant data used for calculating factors not shown here - I use this device for lapping days in my track car and used it for the Raptor for these tests - removed the data to remove any potential bantering.

Another 5-Star bug solved by the MPT tune I noticed driving tonight.

In manual mode on the Raptor I always had issues with Mikes tune, there was always some serious torque management issues. If you were in 4th gear at 60mph and floored it - the RPM would jump up 500-600 rpm as the converter slipped then it would lock up 2-3 seconds later. Mike was never able to solve this, it was present on his Performance tune and Stock Transmission tune.

MPT tune solved this - now when you floor it in 60mph in 4th there is no RPM jump - the converter stays locked and does not slip like the old tune, great news!

Also this issue with the 5-star in manual mode is not present in my 5.0 F150 with Mikes tune, so maybe it is a glitch in just the program he wrote for my truck - either way it was an issue that was solved.

Last edited:

roasted7

Reaction score
I never really liked 5 stars tunes either. I had the same issues with the shifting. When I called mike about it he just told me that "If you don't like it then put it back to stock". So I ditched 0 stars tune and replaced it with the vastly superior SVT tune.

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had MPT tune on my daughters 2014 Mustang and knocked like crazy in low RPM range. Did data log and still could not correct after 2 revisions. Went with BAMA tune and problem solved!

Never any problems with 5* tunes on either of our Raptors. Did a very complete evaluation (called "Our 5* tunes" thread). 5* tunes were first rate in our trucks. Love our SVC tunes! Would never try an MPT tune again.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread Sounds like a sales pitch from M P T. You know the type of pitch that is like, "Oh man got ( ) from XYZ company and its kick ass." Then insert rant about a paying vendor and continue to sell posters own company as a happy customer.
End result, free advertising and maybe a few sales before being found out

6.2Canadian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread Sounds like a sales pitch from M P T. You know the type of pitch that is like, "Oh man got ( ) from XYZ company and its kick ass." Then insert rant about a paying vendor and continue to sell posters own company as a happy customer.
End result, free advertising and maybe a few sales before being found out

I agree because I used mikes 5star tunes the whole time my truck was N/A... Although I did have some shifting issues at first he sent a tune right away when I called and said I had the hard shifting.. I use Stanghi and JDM now only because I am supercharged and they deal with boosted 6.2s a lot more than 5*

OP
OP
T

ToucanLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shifting is also completely rough and outta control. Haven't contacted 5star yet - but that loks like a rude response

Basically what Mike told me as well, wasn't super impressed to be honest. Yes he replied very fast and instantly almost - but that doesn't matter to me if the product wasn't good.

MPT tune is still running great - not sure why my 5Star tune was so bugged but it was - YMMV

And to the people saying I am MPT :ROFLJest: I am from Canada not Florida - ask the Mods to check my IP address.

Last edited: