Magnaflow Magnapack on my 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I got a Magnaflow Magnapack put on my truck this morning.....and love it:) The Magnapack's are 4" around but come in different lengths, they're also a straight through design. Not as harsh and loud as a straight pipe but close. I went with the 14" version which is the body, 20" overall when you include the ends. I was told by Magnaflow that the shorter versions would be louder but, not by much. So I went with this length hoping it wouldn't be obnoxious but, loud when I wanted it to be. It's a 3" in and 3" out and I had the exhaust shop run it as a single 3" all the way back but with a 4" tip. I told them how I wanted the tip placed (slash, angle, how close to the body) and they did a great job with it, I'm very pleased. I'm going to paint the tip in flat black high temp paint, probably all the way up to the muffler too. This tip they put on however doesn't look bad as is.

Sound at first start up is a good "WOPPA" to let you know it's there but it dies down to normal idle, pretty cool. At idle, it carries that deep tone but not too loud, just enough to remind you that you have it. Same with cruising speed, the tone is deeper but very close to stock in terms of noise level. Of course, the noise level rises just a bit as you give it gas and when you drop the hammer, it's show time. Along with the healthy deepness of the rumble, it's a smooth sound as well. It doesn't have the tinging sound associated with Flowmaster or the popping sound of Borla. I've always been a Flowmaster guy but after living on youtube and the F150 forums for the past week and a half, studying sound clips, I like that I went this route. The only time I experienced drone is when you first pull away from a stop and it's right at 2K rpm's in 1st, 2nd and just a tad in 3rd.....other than that, no drone. I would describe this set up as a bit healthier at cruising and idle, and a monster when you punch it. So if you're one of those guys that wants a deep, smooth tone all around but loud and throaty when you want it to be, then I would recommend this muffler.

I bought it off of Summit.com for $76.00 (polished too), exhaust shop installed it and did my tip for $95. So all in all and combined with the shipping for the muffler, I'm in it for about $180. I don't feel the need to wait for a full catback system from someone, the entire thing is just a straight pipe the whole way until you get to the rear axle. I don't see an entire system doing that much more on these, hence why I'm perfectly happy with just the muffler swap.

Here's some pics to hold you over till I get some sound and video.

IMG_0656.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0660.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0654.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0661.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0659.jpg
[/IMG]

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very nice SOCO. I love how relatively cheap these sorts of mods are; good call not waiting on a cat back.

I've lived with drone for the past 5 years in my daily, making me ultra sensitive to it. So even the little bit you describe would probably **** me off.

However I'm looking forward to hearing it in Vegas. I've yet to hear one of these 6.2s opened up. Nice mod!

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks awesome! i thought about that, but i went a cheaper route, for a different mill as well lol...but that looks clean and i bet it sounds absolutely killer!

forgot to add...i agree on a full exhaust, seems pointless, unless they came up with a true dual exhaust...and honestly, i would probably run 60K miles on my truck by the time it comes out!

also, nobody is really going to look under your truck...so replacing just the muffler is simple, cheap..and for me, it was effective.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I hear ya. I think the only thing that would be worth anything is some high flow cats.....and of course some long tube headers, which I will be all over when they come out;)

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I think the only thing that would be worth anything is some high flow cats.....and of course some long tube headers, which I will be all over when they come out;)

Thats what i want, are some long tube headers...increase my low end a bit more...

I dont get it, I have always thought, and talked to some gear heads, we all agreed upon the fact that long tubes produce more low end and shorties produce high...talked about scavenging and so on, but on the "other" forum...they insisted it was the total opposite...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nah. Long tubes are much better for the low end. Has to do with the relatively longer primaries of a long tube header; the exhaust pulse is less likely to collide at the collector. And if they're tuned headers, they'll actually aid in excavation at certain (usally lower) RPMs as the waves will work together to draw from other primaries making the engine work less hard at pushing the gas down the tube.

Shorties don't have the advantage of the longer primary, and therefore have no room to get the pulses in sync.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Not only that but, it's been widely known for a while now that long tubes are just a better choice on Ford's mod motors (of course we don't know about the 6.2's response to headers yet). Shorties haven't had the best reputation of making gains on the 4.6's and 5.4's.