5 Star 93 oct perf tune , daily driver.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was running the 93 street tune and noticed I would put it in tow mode and kick off stab control 99% of the time. Truck seems to pull awesome on this tune and seems totally streetable though I will kick it down to an 87 economy tune come winter. Anyone out there running this as their DD tune? Only other mods is exhaust, CAI, and engine,trans,diff,p.s. cooling mods. I love this truck. Will probably do some ignition work down the road. averaging 12mpg city 15mpg highway.

Bill

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 91 octane 5 star tunes and loved em. So smooth so fast, I personally loved performance mode. My transmission died at 74k miles but I don't blame the tune I blame the dealer and myself. Blew a transmission seal at 24k miles and let Ford walk all over me. Ran it without transmission fluid because Ford told me everything was all good and then I took it back after I decided something was up and they covered it up. Ended up degrading little by little until 74k. I ran the tune from 45 to 74.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Camperguy

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 37k when I bought my 13, First thing I did was to flush the trans, install a 7qt AFE pan and a larger trans cooler. Hopefully itll last. It shifts firm but thats how I like it. Nothing like the 3500rpm stall convertors and shift kits of days gone by but a firm quick engagement.

Bill

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was running the 93 street tune and noticed I would put it in tow mode and kick off stab control 99% of the time. Truck seems to pull awesome on this tune and seems totally streetable though I will kick it down to an 87 economy tune come winter. Anyone out there running this as their DD tune? Only other mods is exhaust, CAI, and engine,trans,diff,p.s. cooling mods. I love this truck. Will probably do some ignition work down the road. averaging 12mpg city 15mpg highway.

Bill
>> I will kick it down to an 87 economy tune come winter. <<

This may be a silly question.
What is the reason for running 87 octane during the winter months?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering that too, winter blend fuel is already full of crappy additives.
Then to throw cheap fuel in a H.O. 6.2L is just SILLY!!! To save what $5 to $7 per tank full
Research this yourself, there are a couple of threads for oil/air catch cans.
There is so much bi- product getting back into the intake fowling up the TB, plugs, cats, O2 sensors.

Just because it says somewhere in the manual you could run 87, there is also a whole section about using proper fuel. And if you experience pinging/knock, bring to dealership.

I know there people and 87 eco Tunes out there.
I say whatever, if it makes you feel better go for it. It's not my truck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Camperguy

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>> I will kick it down to an 87 economy tune come winter. <<

This may be a silly question.
What is the reason for running 87 octane during the winter months?

Alot of snow,ice and salt on the roads in winter and I always lose 1-3mpg come winter. Some guys say the fuel companies change the formulation in winter. IDK if thats true or not. It also spins the tires pretty easy on a dry hot road, winter is alot worse and I usually dont race around .

Bill

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've run 93 performance tune from 5star since I've had my truck. I also have MagnaFlow exhaust and K&N cai and pedal commander. Tune in conjunction wth exhaust/intake really woke up the 6.2. I've never tried any of the other tunes that came loaded on tuner, lol.

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering that too, winter blend fuel is already full of crappy additives.
Then to throw cheap fuel in a H.O. 6.2L is just SILLY!!! To save what $5 to $7 per tank full
Research this yourself, there are a couple of threads for oil/air catch cans.
There is so much bi- product getting back into the intake fowling up the TB, plugs, cats, O2 sensors.

Just because it says somewhere in the manual you could run 87, there is also a whole section about using proper fuel. And if you experience pinging/knock, bring to dealership.

I know there people and 87 eco Tunes out there.
I say whatever, if it makes you feel better go for it. It's my truck!

>> I was wondering that too, <<

It is like buying a THOROUGHBRED , then treat it like a Gelding!

One would think, that in the winter months, you would go for the higher octane fuel.
BTW! Reducing the Octane rating to 87 has nothing to do with spinning the tires.
Spinning the tires under any condition, has to do with the FOOT on the skinny Pedal.
In other words, to use a legal term " Failure to control your Vehicle"

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run 93 performance tune from 5star since I've had my truck. I also have MagnaFlow exhaust and K&N cai and pedal commander. Tune in conjunction wth exhaust/intake really woke up the 6.2. I've never tried any of the other tunes that came loaded on tuner, lol.

Sitting here Scratching my head!
Another Silly question!
WHY????! Run a Performance Tune along with Pedal Commander?!!!!! Something doesn't seems right.
It's like wearing " Belt and Suspenders "
Is the Engine isn't any good? ( Think we know the answer to that )
OR! ??????
The Tune isn't any good?
OR! ?????
Is it Pedal Commander?????
Somewhere in this equation, negative return comes into play.
I'm truly sorry, but some of this doesn't makes a lick of sense to me.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh it's true winter blend gasoline is different and It sucks.
I notice it right away in my Supercharged Raptor.

Spinning tires, well I can tell you that your thinking less power less easy spinning won't work.
The Raptor's PCM will adjust timing and AFR to try and compensate for different fuel grades but pedal to the transmission torque management will remain the same.

Also take notice to those plow guys in pickup trucks, their beds are always full of stuff. Weight in the back is key in a pickup truck on snow and ice.
You may need new tires or put some weight in the bed or don't knock the snow off the bed cover or don't shovel the snow out of the bed.
Make sure to air down to 40 psi, I have a Tune and can air down to 36 this also helps.

That's what I do and I have 560 rwhp it's a whole different zen you need when it come to snow and ice.

Last edited: