6R80 transmission failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knew that would get your attention!

There is a 2009 F-150 sitting in our lot that was towed in today with a failed 6R80 auto transmission. I know that seems like bad news for those of you who are reading this, but it is fantastic news for me! I can not wait to crack this nut open an see what makes it tick.

I can not promise anything, but if my dept. manager will let me, I will try and take some disassembly, repair, and reassembly pics to post on here. I will be starting on it tomorrow afternoon.

FSM

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Knew that would get your attention!

There is a 2009 F-150 sitting in our lot that was towed in today with a failed 6R80 auto transmission. I know that seems like bad news for those of you who are reading this, but it is fantastic news for me! I can not wait to crack this nut open an see what makes it tick.

I can not promise anything, but if my dept. manager will let me, I will try and take some disassembly, repair, and reassembly pics to post on here. I will be starting on it tomorrow afternoon.

FSM

Interesting,

It would be cool to see some tare down pictures for sure. If you can, let us know how many miles as well.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely subscribing to this one. Looking forward to the updates FS.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Subscribed! And would be interested to hear the details of the failure from the driver's perspective, if known...

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this transmission have a drain plug on the TC?

Hey xjr! Where ya been buddy?? And, not that I am aware of. Ford hasn't had TC drain plugs for several years now, but I will soon know if they have added one on the 6R80.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey xjr! Where ya been buddy?? And, not that I am aware of. Ford hasn't had TC drain plugs for several years now, but I will soon know if they have added one on the 6R80.

I was on walkabout.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Looking forward to tear-down and pics. They had several threads like this on explorerforum.com and they were very helpful.