Broken Magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIAMIRAPTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after 2 years of solid service, my simple Magnaflow muffler-swap has finally given out on me. Looking to replace it with an MBRP turn-down... but since that will take about a week to receive, I'm trying to figure out how to get it to stop rattling under load.

I've currently tethered it with a couple of wire coat hangers to keep it from bouncing around and causing further damage but I'm now contemplating removing everything from the resonator back.

As you can see, the seam has completely separated on the back end of the muffler.

My question is, do you think that venting the exhaust after the resonator without a turn-down in place will generate enough heat to damage any wiring/components under the vehicle?

(I'd remove everything after the connecting clamp)

ahy6ugy6.jpg

3a6eby4u.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MIAMIRAPTA

MIAMIRAPTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm aware, just trying to do something about the incessant rattling in the meantime. Could be a week or two until this is replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
MIAMIRAPTA

MIAMIRAPTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know how well it would hold up where yours is broken or if it would even work at all, but

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AY3NHE/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Or this: Amazon.com: J-B Weld 8265S Original Steel Reinforced Epoxy Twin Pack - 2 oz: Automotive

Or find a welding shop have them braze it up a little. A muffler shop is best but they'll want more money to mig it up then it's worth.

Might be worth a try but I think it's unsalvageable at this point. I tried taking it to a shop but they just wanted to replace it with what they had on hand. Wasn't even willing to get under it and look lol

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

wow suprised to see that from a magnaflow

i had my magnapack dumped just before the rear axle for a while with no issues.

Yeah, it'd just be for a week or so but I'm worried about the repercussions of not having hangers or a turn-down. Would basically be about 2ft of 3" and the resonator hanging there... Blasting right back at the rear axel area.

Kinda want to see if I could even deal with the sound alone haha.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can go to Home depot and get some scrap sheet metal or even aluminum angle and a small box of self tapping screws and zip the crap out of it.

Should have thought of this one first. LOL

Last edited:

dirtydeeds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is, do you think that venting the exhaust after the resonator without a turn-down in place will generate enough heat to damage any wiring/components under the vehicle?

You can do this no problem, even permanently. But....

Rule of thumb is exit the vehicle as far back as possible and exit completely. So permanently would break both of these rules. There's no safety issues short term, but long term most trucks have vents in the back of the cab with a cheezy 'flapper' valve which vents the high pressure which occurs in the cab when you slam a door.

These 'flaps' are supposed to only let the air out of the cab, not in. It's much easier to smell when this happens by installing Long Tube headers and No Cats. The raw smell isn't noticed until you roll down a window and the exhaust gets sucked in thru those vents.

Until you get it fixed just keep your windows up and a/c on re-circulate until you run the exhaust all the way back. This will keep you from sucking in the exhaust without even knowing it since you likely have cats making the smell hardly noticeable. And, don't worry about not having a dump, there is little to no danger of overheating the underside of your truck with this set up. The risk of fire is negligible compared to having a full system on the truck.

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, was that standalone muffler you purchased made out of stainless steel or was it an aluminized one? Got a part number handy?

IIRC, Magnaflow's stainless steel products come with a lifetime warranty (not sure about the exact fine print, you may have to check their website). You may want to contact their tech line/customer service department to see if you qualify for a replacement.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty??

Call em and get a new one.