Awful Drone! Borla Type S. What did I do wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CptMorgan

Reaction score
I recently installed a Borla Type S resonator-back that I purchase from another Raptor Forum member.

I was immediately unhappy with a drone in the cab at highway speeds, but though it livable, until this weekends road trip: 1000 miles of mountain passes, towing a small 1000 lb boat.

The drone is unbearable from 1500 - 3000 RPM. You cannot talk in the truck while climbing or passing. Even flat road cruising at 60-80 MPH is annoyingly loud.

We’re not talking a nice barking exhaust note, or a loose exhaust rattle sound. My cab has become a resonating chamber. I don't hear the exhaust, just drone. We have four more trip planned this summer. I need to fix it ASAP. The kids and wife are hating me….

Did I install something wrong? Internal damage to the exhaust? Is my intake a poor match to the Borla?

2013 SCREW. Roush intake, 5 Star tune, Raptor Borla Type S (with Stock Resonator)

Note: Borla S on Raptor uses the OEM resonator.

OP
OP
CptMorgan

CptMorgan

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that I started with a resonator delete pipe (came with the used Borla). It was too loud on the highway to work, so I put the OEM resonator back in. .....

I got tired of tripping on the random exhaust parts on my garage floor... so I recycled them at work last week....stupid.

I'd gladly go back to stock, if I'd kept the parts.

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I just noticed you're also in Van. I've a magnaflow cat back dual rear exit behind wheel. Also a 14" magnaflow with lightning exit. . If you're interested, pm me.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
even with the stock resonator you're getting drone? hmmm, have you looked under the cab and made sure all connections are solid? mine came loose recently and was progressively getting louder and drone was increasing over time - until one side of the midpipe came loose, i was pretty much running an open header on one end...fixed it and drone was pretty much gone and sound went back to normal. it's a long shot but might want to check...

myfirstford

Reaction score
You need to install J pipes. Look up SOLO EXHAUSTS. I installed borla s types on a camaro with the same drone in the rpm band. Installed the J pipes and adjusted the length. No more drone.