So I got a Lowrance, now what???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goathearder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Got my Elite 5m HDI all mounted up in the cab and powered and I have no idea what to do with it now. It came with "Navitronics Gold US Charts" on an SD card but I am not sure if that even does me any good.

Do I just run it as is? Is there some other set of maps/topo charts I should buy or something? This is my first real GPS so I have no idea what to do with it now, hahahaha.

Thanks,
John

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can either load pre plotted map files or record your tracks with Lowrance. As an example, if you're an REC member and attending one of our runs we load a map file into the lowrance.

You follow the line and looks something similar to this:

15716617551_5a618631b5_b.jpg

OP
OP
goathearder

goathearder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can either load pre plotted map files or record your tracks with Lowrance. As an example, if you're an REC member and attending one of our runs we load a map file into the lowrance.

You follow the line and looks something similar to this:

15716617551_5a618631b5_b.jpg

So now that I have gps I will definitely be joining (it was the last piece I needed). When I load a map for a run, do I have to take the SD card I have in there out? Do you guys just run the base maps that come with the unit or do you add anything to it?

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice! Glad to hear you'll be joining.

You don't need to bring a card. The cards are pretty much just for loading and unloading files. We bring the cards and load the course before we leave. It works best for us vs emailing files out and people having trouble or forgetting to load them. We can just load them up right there.

As pictured above it's pretty much just a line that you follow.

biggiebigs

Reaction score

You don't need to bring a card. The cards are pretty much just for loading and unloading files. We bring the cards and load the course before we leave. It works best for us vs emailing files out and people having trouble or forgetting to load them. We can just load them up right there.

What Lowrance do you recommend?

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What Lowrance do you recommend?

There are many different models and some are nicer than others.

I like the elite 5m. It's clean simple and does the job. The higher end models have bigger nicer screens but they also can have glare I've been told. They can be found for around $500 so they are also the cheapest.

OP
OP
goathearder

goathearder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many different models and some are nicer than others.

I like the elite 5m. It's clean simple and does the job. The higher end models have bigger nicer screens but they also can have glare I've been told. They can be found for around $500 so they are also the cheapest.

I just got mine on Amazon for 349!

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Ah ok, so the unit has some sort of internal memory, I didn't realize that. I guess I should break open the book and start reading : )

BTW, Just submitted my Expeditions Membership form this morning.

slowjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goat, if I remember correctly, you'll be out at SVC'S Barstow event. Get with me and I'll give you a quick crash course. It's not too hard, just intimidating the first time. Soon, you're going to be like me and yelling at your copilot to quit playing with the buttons.