remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine didn't come with remote start and I'm wondering would it be better to get an aftermarket one or try and get a factory one?

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year... So you do NOT have the luxury package?

Viper makes a pretty cool remote start...not a fan of carting around 2 fobs, Vipe also has an app, which is cool, but the module was expensive...still the viper system with all the bells and whistles might be cheaper than Ford's

OP
OP
L

lockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a used 2012 with 1800 miles on it didn't have everything I wanted but enough for the price. my last truck had a viper remote start which was cool and yea I'm not a big fan of extra fobs either I wasn't sure if it would be worth it to get the factory one installed at the stealership or go with after market.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
adding the oem remote start is not cost efficient. what kind of key fob? is it on the key itself or a seperate unit?

there are other options that can be installed, but its a matter being able to inegrate you oem remote.

KNUCKLEBUSTER

Reaction score
Get the oem just requires antenna above glove box and prgram 30 minutes for complete install. I am not a fan of anything aftermarket anymore its all junk.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry but that is not true.

and a 300ft maximum range is completely absurd. dei make quite a few with a 1 mile range. there are companies with a 2 1/2 mile range. given that they are line of sight distance, in town or shopping mall when there are walls and electrical interferance you wont get that range, but knowing if someone is messing with your truck is an added sense of security

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 200 series is long range OEM, the 200 series also adds a shock sensor. It uses a second FOB. Personally I think the range sucks. I had a Viper 5201 in my 2010 and loved it. Went OEM this time to integrate with factory options (heated seats, etc). If it's possible to use aftermarket and activate OEM options I'd love to hear it. Since you don't have remote start you would need the dealer to activate but you can install it all yourself pretty easily.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 200 series is long range OEM, the 200 series also adds a shock sensor. It uses a second FOB. Personally I think the range sucks. I had a Viper 5201 in my 2010 and loved it. Went OEM this time to integrate with factory options (heated seats, etc). If it's possible to use aftermarket and activate OEM options I'd love to hear it. Since you don't have remote start you would need the dealer to activate but you can install it all yourself pretty easily.
there is a way to integrate the oem features, it depends on what features you are looking to have from the remote

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a way to integrate the oem features, it depends on what features you are looking to have from the remote
Personally I want it to act exactly the same with regards to being able to adjust options through the gauge cluster menus. As far as I know this is not possible. If it is I'd love to know because I'd switch over in a heartbeat. Most of the time my "long-range" OEM starter requires 3-4 attempts to get the start command to register from only 20-30 feet away. Battery changes and trying other key fobs haven't made any difference.