Line-X and tailgate step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shortbusdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to have the bed Line-X'd next week and I went in and talked to the guy the other day and said I had the tailgate step so I was wondering what he would do with it and he said he doesn't touch the tailgate.

Guys with Line-X and a tailgate step what did you guys do?

Did you leave it alone and just have the plastic tailgate liner? I don't have a problem with that since obviously I want to keep it since it would be awkward with out it.

or did you guys have the plastic Line-X'd or any part of the tailgate?

Thanks for the ideas

Kmandoske

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guy took off the plastic on the back and sprayed the tailgate. If he won't take it off do it yourself and have him spray it. it looks alot better when its done. my truck is white and it needed to be covered in bed liner black.

boychiks

Reaction score
Just get them to spray about 2 inches under the parasitic and then the rest of the tailgate. That's what my guys did and you'd never know unless you took it off.

Juncle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting mine done tomorrow

I was told they could do the exposed part around the plastic
or
take off the plastic and spray the whole tail gate and put the plastic back on
or
Take off the stripper pole off - plate the hole - spray the whole thing and just leave the step
or
Leave the tail gate as is

I am keeping the pole and plastic part - not sure what I am going to do

Leaning toward spraying the exposed area or taking off the plastic spraying the whole thing and putting it back on????

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guy charged me $50 extra to take off the plastic and stripper pole and spray the exposed area around the edge. It makes the tail gate a bit tighter when you close it, but maybe I just need to get in there with a razor blade and trim it down.

My thinking was if I ever dump a load of something in there (which is admittedly unlikely) I don't want to have to worry about ANYTHING, that includes the little 1" gap around the plastic where it's painted. Also if you ever want to take the stripper pole off entirely and go with a normal tailgate, it's already done.

Only other thing I would add, and I don't know if you can help it, but the jackasses that did mine used a little electric impact driver to take all the torx bolts off/on, and they stripped at least 2 of them, so tell them to not be lazy ***** and use a screwdriver.

JD_27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guy took off the plastic on the back and sprayed the tailgate. If he won't take it off do it yourself and have him spray it. it looks alot better when its done. my truck is white and it needed to be covered in bed liner black.

Same here. My guy removed the plastic and sprayed the tailgate which looks way better since the plastic does not cover the entire tailgate.

OP
OP
Shortbusdriver

Shortbusdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Yea I was thinking about just having the area around the plastic done but just wanted to know if it was a crazy request.

Like you said then no one knows if the rest is done or not!

BigBlock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either leave it alone or remove the plastic, apply LINE-X, reinstall the plastic.

TailgateStep1.jpg

TailgateStep2.jpg

RedWhite2_zpsd8665c3b.jpg