BakFlip or Extang Solid Fold ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extang Solid Fold or BAK Bakflip ?

I looked hard at both of these and I ended up going with the Solid fold even though I could have got the Bakflip HD or F1 for about the same money .

Advantage / Disadvantages of either ?
Solid Fold : Install is Crazy simple , not that I mind installing stuff . I rather enjoy it actually . Shit , drink beer and work on truck . Sounds like time well spent .
Solid Fold can be removed from Truck completely in less than a Minute.
Solid Fold has no rails or need for drains: Both of these were my deciding factor. I had a Pace Edwards Roll top on one of my last trucks that had a Rail system like the Bakflip and I always had to be careful hauling shit to not damage the rails , this always bugged me and did not want to have to contend with this issue again. Also I did not want to have to deal with Drain lines.
This is just me guys and no knock on the Bakflip.
The Drain lines were of concern as I live in MN and they can Freeze and plug in the Fall and Spring.
Solid Fold : Rides on the top of the bed . This is a tough one for me . I like the look as it fits the bold stance of the Raptor . Note : It may not look as good on Different color tucks. I have Tx Black.
Bakflip: Nice clean Flush look. This cover does look awesome and very Low profile.
Water Tight: Solid Fold was shipped with Free tail gate seal . Not sure it was even needed. I installed a BedRug at the same time and have driven in Heavy rain. Zero water in the back of Truck.
Bakflip: Water tight ? Don't know anybody ? They say about 99%. I believe this but wonder what happens ion drain system can't keep up with the amount of water. or if really mudding and you take a wave over the entire truck ? Or what happens if you get debris in the channels in the rails.
Bakflip: Seen allot of people on the board ask the owners of this product how it handles off roading and have not seen a response . Anybody ? Does it rattles , shake ?
Solid Fold: I have not off roaded with it yet , and it's not hunting season (Shit ). This is another one where if you want you can lift off the entire top off in less than a minute and figured this was a plus for me.
Bought my BedRug and Solid Fold From Truck Champ and they did an awesome job. Product here in two days with Free shipping. They have awesome prices right now on The Bakflip.
http://www.truckchamp.com/tonneau-covers
Install of Solid Fold: This video is legit . You can put it in that fast.
YouTube - Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover

Extang Product Videos
Bakflip : Install Video.
YouTube - Install the BAK Bakflip HD Tonneau Cover on a Ford F150 - AutoAnything How-To

Hope this helps some of you guys looking at putting a cover on your truck.
I am still a little torn . I really like the Solid Fold , quality product , looks good it is secure, it is just not as flush product like the Bakflip .
I am hoping some of you Bakflip owners speak up on how your covers have done in rough conditions. I will post up once I have more on the Solid Fold.

Last edited:

jdjeep

Reaction score
thank for your input....i was just trying to figure which one of these i wanted for my raptor..have a good day

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Looked at both

I looked at both and went with the bakflip for the lower profile look! Extang sits on top of the bedcaps and the Bakflip is flush with the bedcaps and looks cleaner IMO!

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tire Gate. Now to make some gas can holders...

And no..I have no other input that is useful to this thread.

OP
OP
DEADEYE

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with 502 ! Good Constructive
input .