Anyone run a ReTrax Automatic Metal cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My used truck came with one and debating about taking it off and selling it. These things run a pretty penny. It's automatic.

Ordering a under the cover tire rack so would like to keep it if it holds up well on the trails.

Has anyone ever ran one on a run? If so, how did it hold up?

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the non electric version, and i remove mine every time we go on a run. not saying it wouldnt last, but its just one more thing to come lose, and fly off, or break a back window.

D

Deleted member 12951

Don't have the one you have but I do run with a Roll-X. I see even those coming off when off-roading so I doubt yours will stay on unless you drive cautiously. My Roll-X has never came off and I've been on 10 runs and kept it on in Baja. But mines been modded to take the abuse and stay on, and its showing wear.

You going to RTF? I can show you what I've done.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the retrax pro on my truck and I've done several runs. The pro is the metal version with out the power feature.

I left it closed on my first two runs and it faired ok. The first was dry and it did great. The second was really wet and much rougher. The bed flex caused the locking mechanism to sort of jump off of the track and jammed the cover shut. Popped it off with a screw driver and it was fine. Third run was muddy again but I left the cover open. It did't jump the track and I could get it closed for the run home.

The worst part is it has started leaking after the runs. I haven't had a chance to lift if off of the truck and renew the seals on the bed rails yet so that might fix it.

If you are going to run the truck hard open the cover up that way it won't jump the track. Not sure how the powered part of it will fair exposed to the dirt though.