Easy "mod" to prolong the life of your SYNC's USB Port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All,

Right now our trucks are under warranty, but I like to make sure the things I buy last a long time. The less things are stressed, the less likely they will break or wear out.

The USB port on the SYNC system is one of those items I would like to prevent failing.

Here is a CHEAP and easy way to prevent wear and tear and possible failure on the USB port on your system.

First, buy this:

Amazon.com: B000E5CYW8x

21w7Xq9l28L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Plug the male side of the connector in to your SYNC USB port.

Now, plug in any phone, flash drive, etc to the female end of that cable!

VOILA. The cable is now the wear point, vs. your SYNC port on the Raptor.

Rather than continuosly plugging and unplugging a device into the port, plug your device into the cable instead.

You saw this HERE first!

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
that's a great idea because USB cables do wear out pretty quickly when you constantly plug and unplug them...i.e. my Blackberry's charging port.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I ran mine from the hidden mini USB port on top of my radio to the glove box and it stays plugged in all the time as well as hidden from site.
But this is a great idea...

RAPTOR22

Reaction score
That is an AWESOME idea! Any measure to extend the life of those easily damaged or worn parts is a serious plus...good thinking.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I've been using USB Type A plugs on some of my laptops and computers since they came out...like 10 years ago. Do you really have issues with them "wearing out"? Only ones I've ever seen damaged were damaged because a cable was left plugged in and someone kicked it or bumped it.

I'd worry more about the outlet if I left a cable (like you suggest) plugged into it...then a wrong tug or sideways bump of the cable and the USB outlet could easily be damaged.

I can see the benefit of a cover for the USB port to keep out dust or water (or tea or coffee or whatever). I may just order a pack of these covers.

If you often shower in your Raptor you could go the IP67 route...retrofitting this Type A jack and this IP67 rated cover.

Attachments

• Cover1.jpg
    Cover1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 69
  • JackIP67.jpg
    JackIP67.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 80
  • coverIP67.jpg
    coverIP67.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 85