Won't turn on. Intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be too, please let us know what they find and I hope it is a speedy repair and long term fix.

FSM

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
We had a similar issue happen with our old Lexus IS350. It wouldn't recognize either key fob. Towed to the dealer on three separate occasions. Always worked normal when it hit the dealer. The never found the issue. Hope yours works out.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
My Raptor is now at the Ford Service Center. It had to be towed there.

First happened over last weekend. One key fob wouldn't unlock the doors. I grabbed the other one and it worked. I have been using that one since. Today the 2nd key fob would not start the truck! Tried repeatedly, waited, tried again. It would not lock, unlock or start the truck. The computer display said "Starting system fail" or something like that. I called for warranty tow. Tow truck driver showed up and tried. Same results. He tows it to the Ford dealer and tried it again...IT WORKED. In the meantime I drove home and picked up the other key fob. Tried it at the Ford dealer. IT WORKED! :flipthebird:

Anyways. I talked to them about the "CLUNK". They said they had some Rangers that did that. They used a different grease on the slip yoke and none of them ever returned for service. Now they are going to do that to mine. /beavis&butthead I am getting my yoke lubed..heheheheheheh

Any ideas about the keys not working? Only mod on the truck currently is the Nav+ (which hasn't ever worked right and have my installer doing his homework now to figure out WTF is wrong with it)

I went through the 11 owners manual just because it is still new and I'm not familiar with all of the faults the IC will display. I didn't not find a "starting system fault" but I did come across a "security system fault" or failure. If this is the case if would make sense if your keys had lost there programming. Kind of what the FSM06 stated if you 1`have a bunch of items on your u keychain I know you don't. I was just thinking every now and then you do. get faulty keys kind of what it sounds like to me. Please do let us know what the dealer finds for the problem.

OP
OP
SPRSNK

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems that someone put one of my key fobs through the wash. It was filled with water. Still doesn't explain the intermittent issue. Whatever. They greased the yoke and are still trying to say that the clunk is "mud" in the leaf springs now.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm at Ford dealer in Moab right now with the same issue. My key has always been solo and has not been wet. Got the Starting System Failure error message in the instrument cluster. w Would turn key and nothing. Electrical all seemed fine though. Only took one key with me on trip. Remote start would fire it up fine...then when I'd put the key in...instead of the dash lighting up and everything going fine, it would give me the message something like Start Vehicle to Stop Alarm...as it was beeping at me. Then I'd turn the key, the engine would shut off and the alarm with horn and lights would start. Hitting buttons on the remote would end that nonsense. Finally got it to start after about 10 minutes of repeated attempts. Now waiting to see if they can pull any meaningful codes. Starts and stops, on and off, no problem...right up until it does not work at all. ??? I'll update if I learn anything.

OP
OP
SPRSNK

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm at Ford dealer in Moab right now with the same issue. My key has always been solo and has not been wet. Got the Starting System Failure error message in the instrument cluster. w Would turn key and nothing. Electrical all seemed fine though. Only took one key with me on trip. Remote start would fire it up fine...then when I'd put the key in...instead of the dash lighting up and everything going fine, it would give me the message something like Start Vehicle to Stop Alarm...as it was beeping at me. Then I'd turn the key, the engine would shut off and the alarm with horn and lights would start. Hitting buttons on the remote would end that nonsense. Finally got it to start after about 10 minutes of repeated attempts. Now waiting to see if they can pull any meaningful codes. Starts and stops, on and off, no problem...right up until it does not work at all. ??? I'll update if I learn anything.

Sounds to me like it is going to be an issue. What does not make sense in my situation is the fact that I left the "wet" key at home and was 7 miles away at my shop..drove it to the shop, turned it off, turned it back on and moved it while it was at the shop all with no issues. Then when I went to leave, the error came back. How does the "wet" key fob screw with the security of the truck randomly and from miles away? If that was the case with the "wet" fob, it should have never started in the first place.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would question if the wetness of the key had anything to do with it. What I was told is that there is a chip in the key that the steering yoke looks for when you insert the key. The capability or functionality of that chip has no relationship to the battery in the fob. The battery only drives the button functions. The chip is only a proximity type of function...which should not be greatly affected by some wetness. The technician here said they have had some issues with these chips not being recognized properly with other vehicles. He hooked up diag laptop and that was confirmed...that the BCM was not sensing the chip in the key. All BCM system checks passed. They are taking another blank key that has the SA chip (the one my key had...also is an S series of keys) in it and they are cutting that blank to match my key. Currently waiting on the 10 minute or so process that is required to program the BCM to recognize the new chip in the new key. Fingers crossed....

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reset BCM and all seems to be good. Pull fuse #18 in passenger side footwell fuse box. Remember that. :) Got a free key out of the deal at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter