Wiring up fitter switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a quick splice connector to wire underneath the dash for the upfitter wire and the passthru wire?

No, that would be a mistake. Those are fine for low wattage applications like triggering a relay but not for any significant load.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a quick splice connector to wire underneath the dash for the upfitter wire and the passthru wire?

I used them for my pass thru wires and so have a lot of other members. They're fine as long as you're not exposing them to the elements. Quite frankly I'd like to see how some people soldered the pass thru wires as I barely had room to even get the wires connected. Even cutting the tape to expose them some more didn't yield enough to solder. Some may have a little bit more than others I guess.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used them for my pass thru wires and so have a lot of other members. They're fine as long as you're not exposing them to the elements. Quite frankly I'd like to see how some people soldered the pass thru wires as I barely had room to even get the wires connected. Even cutting the tape to expose them some more didn't yield enough to solder. Some may have a little bit more than others I guess.

I twisted the ends together in a point. Soldered them then put heat shrink on them. Butt splices suck.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been involved with Ford electrical systems, wiring, and instrumentation for almost 20 years and I don't see any reason to solder the aux and pass-thru wires together. I can't think of a single wire-to-wire connection on any late model Ford vehicle that's soldered from the factory; they all use some variation of a pin/connector mechanical connection.

I recommend Anderson PowerPole connectors for making the connection between the aux and pass-thru wires. The standard colors for these connectors are red and black, but there are many colors available; I used red, purple, yellow, and green to match the color of the OEM upfitter wires. The housings are single conductor and the smallest size housing can accept either 15A, 30A, or 45A pins; I used 30A pins on AUX 1/2 and 15A pins on AUX 3/4 to match the OEM amperage ratings.

If you want to solder them because you think it's a better connection or it gives you peace of mind, have at it, but this solution is a million times easier. They've been around forever for a reason... they're reliable; you'll find their larger versions on items such as winches, golf carts, fork lifts, etc. They're available from many retailers, but I ordered mine from PowerWerx. You can buy enough connectors and pins to wire all four Raptor upfitters for under $5 + S&H. You don't need their tool either, just a good quality standard crimper made by Klein, Cooper, Ideal, etc... not a cheapy auto parts store multi-tool.

hs-pp_xlrg.jpg

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought he was asking about these.

ygydu8ur.jpg

Those are what I was cautioning against using. The contact area is too small, even with a properly executed crimp. If anything is slightly off center the blades tend to cut some of the conductor in two which leads to a failure down the road.